- What We Do
- Election and Political Law, Public Policy & Lobbying
Foster Garvey assists clients on a full range of issues related to "political" law such as federal and state election law, government ethics requirements, lobbying and foreign agent registration, and foreign investment reporting. We counsel clients on compliance with these laws, represent clients when they are facing problems and advocate their interests before government agencies throughout the country.
Our clients include a number of political committees, including a presidential campaign committee and corporations (both domestic and foreign), as well as politically active individuals. The practice is led by attorneys with prior experience as senior staff at the Federal Election Commission, the Federal Communications Commission, the Securities and Exchange Commission, the Department of Defense and the United States Congress.
Public Policy & Lobbying
Foster Garvey helps clients initiate and strengthen their relationships with Congress and federal agencies on legislative and policy matters. By combining traditional legal skills with our extensive knowledge of the legislative process, we help clients create and implement effective, achievable legislative strategies, and, when appropriate, lobby decision-makers to achieve our clients' objectives. Our clients include foreign governments, local municipalities, prominent media and energy companies, trade associations, Native American Tribes and industry coalitions.
Our lawyers have extensive prior service inside government — as senior staff to members of Congress and congressional committees and as political appointees in federal departments and agencies. We have experience working with key congressional committees and dozens of federal departments and agencies.
Foster Garvey develops strategies that range from real-time, in-depth analysis of political developments to intervention through lobbying, administrative proceedings, litigation, public relations, coalition building and targeted communications to decision-makers.
We Are Problem Solvers
Our attorneys are practical problem-solvers who work within our clients' budgets to meet their strategic objectives. We provide clients with critical information and insight, analyze their options and recommend realistic courses of action. We take a multidisciplinary approach to a client's situation — examining the legal, business, political, investment and competitive aspects of the problem. We also tap into our extensive network of outside experts to maximize efficiency and to provide our clients with the best result possible.
Foster Garvey has an active political presence in Washington, D.C. but our lawyers draw on substantive industry-specific expertise throughout the firm. Our track record demonstrates that our firm has the experience, know-how and relationships to accomplish our clients’ objectives.
News & Events
- Foster Garvey Newsroom, 9.29.22
- Foster Garvey Newsroom, 7.15.21
- Inside Radio, 9.28.20
- Brad Deutsch Comments on How Political Advertising on Radio Can Reach More Registered Voters in InsideRadio's ArticleFoster Garvey Newsroom, 8.27.20
- Foster Garvey Joins Free Speech For People in Supreme Court Petition to End Super PAC Spending in U.S. ElectionsFoster Garvey Newsroom, 6.18.20
- Free Speech For People, 6.18.20
- The Hill, 5.6.20
- Bloomberg Law - Big Law Business, 7.16.19
- Free Speech for People and Legal Team of Foster Garvey Lawyers and Contributors Spearhead Potentially Transformative Campaign Finance LitigationFoster Garvey Newsroom, 5.17.19
- Sarah Carlin Ames Appeared on KGW ‘Straight Talk’ to Discuss the City Club’s Recommendations to Make Portland’s City Government More EquitableKGW, 3.16.19
- Sarah Carlin Ames Featured on OPB’s ‘Think Out Loud’ to Discuss City Club Research Report on Portland’s Commission Form of GovernmentOregon Public Broadcasting (OPB), 2.11.19
- Melodie Virtue Quoted in Communications Daily About Proposed Rule Changes to NCE and LPFM Application ProcessCommunications Daily, 1.14.19
- BEA Thought Leadership Series (BEATLS), 1.7.19
- RAB Radio Matters Blog, 10.31.18
- The Small Market Radio Podcast, 10.23.17
- Erwin Krasnow Was Quoted in The Washington Post About the FCC's Authority in Revoking a Station's Broadcast LicenseThe Washington Post, 10.11.17
- "Managing Incompatible Offices and Conflicts of Interest When Local Elected Officials, Officers and Employees Seek (Another) Office," 2022 WSAMA Fall ConferenceSpeaking EngagementCampbell's Lake Chelan Resort and Conference Center, Chelan, WA, 9.30.22
- "Thank You For Your Feedback: Managing Public Comments and Complying With the OPMA's New Requirements," 2022 WSAMA Fall ConferenceSpeaking EngagementCampbell's Lake Chelan Resort and Conference Center, Chelan, WA, 9.29.22
- ConferenceWenatchee, WA, 3.22.22
- "So Much Information – So Many Requests for It!” Association of Washington Cities Labor Relations InstituteSpeaking EngagementVirtual Event, 5.7.21
- Speaking EngagementVirtual Event, 8.24.20
- Panel DiscussionNew Orleans, LA, 10.17.19
- Panel DiscussionSan Diego, CA, 6.20.19
- Panel DiscussionSan Diego, CA, 6.19.19
- Speaking EngagementLas Vegas, NV, 4.5.19
- "Legal Updates (a/k/a 'Larry and Brad's Stuff')," 2019 NETA Conference & CPB Public Media Thought Leader ForumSpeaking EngagementSalt Lake City, UT, 1.23.19
- Panel PresentationWashington, D.C., 6.8.18
- “How to Keep Your Campaign Legal,” Progressive Change Campaign Committee - National Candidate TrainingSpeaking EngagementWashington, D.C., 4.15.18
- "2018 Election Issues for Public Broadcasters," National Educational Telecommunications Association (NETA) WebinarWebinar4.5.18
- "Foreign Interference in the 2016 Elections: The Vulnerabilities of the Law Exposed," Campaign Legal Center EventPanel DiscussionWashington, D.C., 10.12.17
- Speaking EngagementWeb Conference, 12.8.10
- "Environmental Policy and Regulatory Update – Energy and Climate Change Legislation, EPA Rulemaking and More," U.S. Conference of Mayors, Municipal Waste Management Association Fall SummitSpeaking EngagementBaltimore, MD, 10.1.10
- American Bar Association, Section of International Law - Art & Cultural Heritage Law Newsletter, Winter 2018
- Campaign Legal Center, 1.31.18
- MLRC Employment Libel and Privacy Law 50-State Survey, 2018 Edition, 11.17
- Radio & Television Business Report (subscription required), 3.27.17
- Radio & Television Business Report (subscription required), 3.5.17
- Office Managing Director and Principal
- Of Counsel
- Of Counsel
- Office Managing Director and Principal
- Of Counsel