Diana has more than 20 years of experience partnering with employers to help them navigate challenging workplace issues with a business-minded and practical approach.
Diana advises and counsels employers on the many issues that arise in today’s complex workplaces. Whether an employer needs key, timely advice during potentially volatile workplace situations, help managing complex workplace investigations, guidance on wage and hour compliance, or advice on how to handle a sensitive termination – Diana is there to assist. Diana also represents employers when they need representation in litigation, arbitration or before administrative agencies. Diana has served as lead counsel in a number of complex, multi-party matters. Diana has substantial experience leading all aspects of matters – case development, discovery, alternative dispute resolution efforts, trial preparation and trial.
- Foster Garvey, Firm Co-Chair, 2020-present
- Foster Garvey, Opportunity & Progress Council, Member, 2020-present
- Society for Human Resource Management, Member
- Washington Lodging Association, Member
- Mother Attorney Mentoring Association of Seattle, Former Board Member
- The Learning Tree, Board Member
Representative advice and counseling experience:
- Regularly advise human resource professionals, executives, and in-house attorneys on wide variety of workplace issues, for example, performance management, disability accommodation, leave management, wage and hour compliance, addressing workplace complaints, succession planning, and separations.
- Advise and assist clients in managing complex workplace investigations with an eye toward managing legal risk and navigating challenging workplace issues.
- Assist clients with updating, drafting and implement key workplace policies to comply with legal requirements, while recognizing operational and labor market realities.
- Conduct workplace investigations aimed at effectively assessing and reporting out on concerns while also providing important insights based on information learned.
- Provide tailored manager and employee training on a wide-variety of topics, including anti-harassment and effective performance management.
Representative litigation experience:
- Successfully represented regional public entity in retaliation and wrongful termination lawsuit brought by two former employees. Served as lead counsel in seven-week jury trial in King County Superior Court. Case resolved during trial in confidential settlement.
- Secured defense verdict in a race discrimination and retaliation lawsuit by a former employee of regional public entity. Served as lead counsel in bench trial in King County Superior Court. Result was not appealed.
- Secured favorable decision upholding terminations of two employees by regional public entity in labor arbitration. Served as lead counsel in one-week arbitration.
- Successfully represented regional public entity in disability discrimination and failure to accommodate lawsuit brought by four employees in King County Superior Court. Served as lead counsel in discovery, mediation efforts, and negotiation of settlement on favorable terms after key depositions.
- Successfully represented regional public entity in gender and pregnancy discrimination lawsuit brought by two employees in US District Court. Served as lead counsel in all aspects of case. Negotiated settlement on favorable terms before the completion of discovery.
- Successfully represented business owners in multi-party lawsuit alleging breaches of contractual obligations in both employment and business activities. Served as lead counsel on all aspects of case leading to three-week jury trial in US District Court, which abruptly halted on the eve of trial due to a bankruptcy filing.
- Served as lead counsel in representation of regional employer defending against high-profile claims of discrimination and retaliation in pre-litigation setting. Successfully resolved claims in confidential settlement, which avoided many potential negative impacts for employer.
- Obtained summary judgment in favor of an employer in a race discrimination and retaliation lawsuit filed by a former employee in King County Superior Court.
- Obtained summary judgment in favor of individual manager sued in sexual harassment and retaliation lawsuit filed by former direct report in King County Superior Court.
- Duff on Hospitality Law, 11.23.16
- U.S. Supreme Court Clarifies That Employers May Not Make Religious Practices, Confirmed or Not, a Factor in Employment DecisionsDuff on Hospitality Law, 6.5.15
- Duff on Hospitality Law, 7.26.13
- Duff on Hospitality Law, 4.27.12
- Duff on Hospitality Law, 1.27.12
- Duff on Hospitality Law, 9.27.11
- Washington's Medical Use of Marijuana Act NOT a Blanket Protection Against Issues Arising From Medical Marijuana UseDuff on Hospitality Law, 6.17.11
- Duff on Hospitality Law, 4.12.11
- Duff on Hospitality Law, 3.22.11
- Duff on Hospitality Law, 11.30.10
News & Insights
- Foster Garvey Named in 2024 Best Law Firms® Rankings; Receives Multiple Honors in National and Metropolitan CategoriesFoster Garvey Newsroom, 11.2.23
- 57 Foster Garvey Attorneys Recognized Among the 2024 Best Lawyers in America; Two Portland Attorneys Named ‘Lawyer of the Year’Foster Garvey Newsroom, 8.17.23
- Foster Garvey Newsroom, 6.1.23
- Foster Garvey Newsroom, 8.18.22
- Foster Garvey Recognized Among Nation's Leading Law Firms in 2022 Chambers USA Guide; 21 Attorneys and 10 Practices FeaturedFoster Garvey Newsroom, 6.1.22
- the Mid-Market Report, 11.11.21
- Foster Garvey Newsroom, 8.19.21
- Best Lawyers, 6.17.21
- Law360, 6.15.21
- Foster Garvey Newsroom, 6.14.21
- The Mid-Market Report (Law.com), 11.6.20
- Foster Garvey Newsroom, 10.1.20
- Foster Garvey Newsroom, 8.20.20
- Foster Garvey Newsroom, 7.8.20
- Foster Garvey Newsroom, 8.15.19
- "So Much Information – So Many Requests for It!” Association of Washington Cities Labor Relations InstituteSpeaking EngagementVirtual Event, 5.7.21
- "Personnel Challenges Relating to the Global Pandemic," Washington Public Ports Association 2020 Virtual Finance SeminarSpeaking EngagementVirtual Event, 12.9.20
- Co-sponsored eventSeattle, WA, 10.25.18
- "Paycheck or Pinkslip?" Moderator, Transportation Intermediaries Association, TIA 2015 Capital Ideas Conference & ExhibitionSpeaking EngagementOrlando, FL, 4.16.15
- "Policy Hash: A Review of Seattle's Minimum Wage and Wage Theft Ordinances," Panel Member, Seattle Chamber of CommerceSpeaking EngagementSeattle, WA, 4.9.15
- "Discussion re Seattle's Minimum Wage Ordinance," Panel Member, Seattle Hotel AssociationSpeaking EngagementSeattle, WA, 3.26.15
- "Avoid the Department of Anti-Labor. Make the FLSA Framework work for you," Transportation Intermediaries Association, TIA 2014 Great Ideas Conference & ExhibitionSpeaking EngagementTuscon, AZ, 4.10.14
- "TIA Operations Committee Meeting," Panel Member, Transportation Intermediaries Association, TIA Fall Meeting 2013Speaking EngagementHouston, TX, 11.17.13
- "Employment Liabilities. Addressing the challenges of employee classification & independent contractors," Transportation Intermediaries Association, 2013 TIA Convention and Trade ShowSpeaking EngagementLas Vegas, NV, 4.12.13
- The Wait Is Over – The New Overtime Rules Are Here: The Reconfiguration of Your Compensation System Is Just Beginning5.19.16
- Puget Sound Business Journal, 2.16.18
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Washington
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Washington
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court, Western District of Washington
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 9th Circuit
- J.D., University of Oregon School of Law, 1999
- Oregon Law Review, Staff Member,1997-1998
- B.A., Michigan State University (with honors), 1994
Honors & Recognition
- Chambers USA (Washington), Leading Individual, Labor & Employment,
- 2022-present; 2017-2018
- The Best Lawyers in America© Employment Law – Management, 2013-present; Labor & Employment Law, 2013-2016
- Rising Star, Washington Super Lawyers, 2004-2013
- Rising Star, Super Lawyers Washington Women’s Edition, 2013