Foster Garvey believes that diversity enriches our workplace and enhances our ability to best serve our clients. We are committed to the full participation and inclusion of diverse professionals in our firm and the legal profession as part of our core values of diversity and inclusion. To that end, we seek diverse attorneys, whether persons of color, women, LGBTQ, or persons with physical limitations and whether they represent economic, geographic, social, ethnic, racial or religious diversity. With these core values in mind, we offer the Kenneth L. Schubert Jr. 1L Diversity Fellowship Program to honor one of our early founders, Ken Schubert Jr., a champion of diversity in the profession.
The Kenneth L. Schubert Jr. 1L Diversity Fellowship will be offered to a student who will be in their first year of law school during the 2021-2022 school year. The recipient will receive a paid 10‐week summer associate position in our Seattle office between their first and second year of law school. After successful completion of the summer associate position, the Diversity Fellow will receive a $15,000 fellowship award ($7,500 payable at the start of the first semester/quarter of the second year, and another $7,500 payable at the start of the second semester/quarter of the second year) upon the showing of continued outstanding academic performance.
Application Requirements & Process
The application opened on December 1, 2021 on our career portal, and the deadline to apply is 11:59 p.m. PST on January 7, 2022. To apply, please submit the following materials:
- Personal statement describing qualifications for this fellowship, your interest in practicing law at Foster Garvey, how you have promoted diversity and how you will contribute to Foster Garvey’s core value of diversity and inclusion, and any other matters you believe would assist the firm in evaluating your application (1000-word limit);
- Current résumé;
- Undergraduate transcript(s);
- Law school course list and/or transcript, if available;
- Writing sample (maximum seven pages); and
- Three professional or academic references (names and contact information only, no letters of recommendation).
The selection committee will notify applicants selected for an interview in late January-early February.
Please address any questions to Georgia Woodruff at firstname.lastname@example.org.