Kinnon focuses his practice on assisting clients in eminent domain and municipal law matters.
Kinnon represents both public entities and private property owners in negotiations, mediation, and bench and jury trials, including successfully arguing cases before the Washington State Supreme Court.
In the area of municipal law, Kinnon provides special and general legal counsel to local governments, including cities, fire departments and utilities. He offers a comprehensive approach to local governments' legal needs, whether dealing with a specific legal issue or providing day-to-day counsel.
Kinnon is co-author of the 2010 Washington State Bar Association Real Property Deskbook Chapter on eminent domain. In 2017, he led a successful effort to amend the Relocation Assistance provisions in Washington state law to protect small business owners impacted by government projects. He is a frequent lecturer on eminent domain and inverse condemnation topics for continuing legal education and trade association seminars.
An active participant in state and local bar associations, Kinnon is a Board Member of the Washington State Bar Foundation. He previously served on the Finance Committee of the King County Bar Association, as Treasurer of the King County Bar Association, as Chair of the King County Bar Association Judicial Fair Campaign Practices Committee and as Co-Chair of the King County Bar Association Judicial Conferencing Committee.
Kinnon previously held the position as a Commissioner on the King County Charter Review Commission and on the Board of the Evergreen Health Care Foundation, acting as Vice Chair for more than four years. He also served as an elected Commissioner with the Northshore Utility District for more than a decade.
- Evergreen Health Care Foundation, Vice Chair and Board Member, 2009-2017
- International Right of Way Association
- King County Washington Bar Association
- Awards Committee, 2020-present
- Finance Committee, 2018-2019
- Treasurer, 2014-2017
- Judicial Conferencing Committee, Co-Chair, 2012-2013
- Judicial Evaluation Committee, Co-Chair, 2010
- Judicial Fair Campaign Committee, Chair, 2012-2013
- The Washington Center, Washington D.C. Alumni Advisory Board - Previous
- Washington Fire Chiefs Association
- Washington Fire Commissioners Association
- Washington State Bar Association
- Solo and Small Practice Section Board, 2007-2014
- Washington State Bar Foundation, 2017-present
- Washington State Licensed Real Estate Instructor
News & Insights
- Foster Garvey Newsroom, 1.13.21
- Speaking EngagementVirtual Event, 1.22.21
- Speaking Engagement11.22.19
- "Eminent Domain Basics for Fire Districts," Washington Fire Commissioners Association Annual ConferenceSpeaking Engagement10.24.19
- Speaking Engagement9.27.19
- Speaking Engagement5.19
- "Mass Relocation and Navigating Cultural Conflicts: Displacement of Immigrant and Refugee Communities," Annual Eminent Domain and Land Valuation SeminarSpeaking EngagementPalm Springs, CA, January 24-26, 2019
- "Liabilities Related to the Use and Ownership in Easements," 7th Annual Easements and CCRs in WashingtonSpeaking Engagement11.16.18
- Speaking Engagement10.5.18
- Speaking Engagement5.18.18
- "How to Have a Happy Vacation – The process for vacating rights of way," Washington State Association of Municipal AttorneysSpeaking EngagementWhistler, B.C., Canada, 5.3.18
- "Living With Lenders: Their Opportunity to Participate and Owner Counsel’s Right to a Fee," Annual Eminent Domain and Land Valuation SeminarSpeaking EngagementCharleston, SC, January 25-27, 2018
- King County Bar Association Bar Journal, 11.19
- County Charter Review Commission Proposing Changes to Housing, Inquest Rules and Office of Law-Enforcement OversightKing County Bar Association Bar Journal, 7.19
- King County Bar Association Bar Journal, 5.19
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Washington
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Washington
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
- J.D., University of Oregon School of Law,1986
- B.A., University of Washington, Political Science, 1982
- National Institute of Trial Advocacy, 2001