Through our municipal government, land use, real estate and litigation practices, Foster Garvey has developed the resources to manage virtually any property acquisition or condemnation proceeding, from large to small. Our attorneys have a long history of assisting both local governments and property owners with condemnation and eminent domain matters and understand the strict rules and guidelines that apply to the process.
Foster Garvey’s experience on both sides of the property acquisition issue enables us to develop strategies that can often avoid condemnation litigation, but our experience allows us to represent clients in trial and negotiations when needed. We are one of the only law firms to offer these services in both Washington and Oregon.
We have substantial experience representing municipal clients in acquisition projects, such as transit stations and rail corridors, arterial street development and expansion, utility corridor development, convention centers, municipal purchase and condemnation of private utility systems, and transit-oriented development. We have also prosecuted and defended inverse condemnation cases, including actions related to taking through regulation or failure to issue land use permits, as well as noise and odor complaints.
Foster Garvey also represents private property owners facing condemnation proceedings. Condemnation matters focus on the amount of compensation and damages, if any, a property owner is entitled. However, every condemnation proceeding presents its own issues including title questions, enforcement of covenants, the validity and scope of easements, and what relocation benefits a property owner or business is entitled to.
News & Events
- King County Wins Significant Railbanking Decision in 9th Circuit Court of Appeals with Support from BNSFFoster Garvey Newsroom, 8.6.18
- WebinarVirtual Event, 9.3.20
- "Closing the Deal – Unexpected Property Tax and Condemnation Consequences," 2020 Oregon State Bar RELU Summer Webinar SeriesWebinarVirtual Event, 8.27.20
- Speaking EngagementPortland, OR, 2.12.20
- “Appraising the Proposed Acquisition Rights – Does the Appraisal Cover All Components of the Draft Easement Conveyance Document(s)?” International Right of Way Association October Education DaySpeaking EngagementPortland, OR, 10.16.19
- Speaking EngagementBend, OR, 8.16.19
- "Preparing Experts for Trial Testimony," Eminent Domain: Current Developments in Condemnation, Valuation & ChallengesSpeaking EngagementPortland, OR, 6.7.19
- "Problematic Jury Instructions and How to Educate the Jury," Eminent Domain: Current Developments in Condemnation, Valuation & ChallengesPanel DiscussionPortland, OR, 6.6.19
- Speaking EngagementGleneden Beach, OR, 8.10.18
- “Adverse Possession? Prescriptive Easements? Here's the What, Where, When, Why, and How,” 2018 RELU Annual Summer ConferenceSpeaking EngagementGleneden Beach, OR, 8.10.18
- Panel DiscussionPortland, OR, 10.11.17
- "Condemnation Law: Updates, Tips and Traps," Oregon County Counsel Association 2017 Summer ConferenceSpeaking EngagementBend, OR, 8.3.17
- "Private Land Use Regulation Through CC&Rs: The Tension Between Private Interest and Public Policy," Oregon State Bar 2017 RELU Spring ForumSpeaking EngagementTigard, OR, 4.28.17
- "Preserving Forest Lands for Forest Uses: Oregon Land Use Policies for Forest Lands" Planning, Law, and Property Rights, Fifth International Conference, University of Alberta-Faculty of LawSpeaking EngagementEdmonton, Canada, 5.25.11
- "The Appraiser as Expert Witness," Eminent Domain: Current Developments in Condemnation, Valuation & Challenges Conference, The Seminar GroupSpeaking EngagementPortland, OR, 5.20.11
- "Negotiation Techniques in a Condemnation Case," Eminent Domain: Current Developments in Condemnation, Valuation and ChallengesSpeaking EngagementThe Benson Hotel, Portland, OR, 5.7.10
- "Effective Preparation of a Condemnation Case," Eminent Domain: Current Developments in CondemnationSpeaking EngagementWorld Trade Center, Portland, OR, 5.28.09
- "Condemnation Hot Topics," American Bar Association Section of State and Local Government LawSpeaking EngagementAudio Conference, 4.1.09
- "Mediating the Condemnation Case," Eminent Domain: Current Developments in Condemnation, Valuation and ChallengesSpeaking EngagementWorld Trade Center, Portland, OR, 5.28.08
- "Dispute Resolution and Land Use - Thinking Outside the Box When Negotiating Development Agreements, Eminent Domain Acquisitions and Measure 37 Claims," Oregon State Bar Real Estate and Land Use Section Annual MeetingSpeaking EngagementThe Riverhouse, Bend, OR, 8.10.07
- "Legislative Survey: Comparison and Contrast of State Legislative Actions," Eminent Domain National Conference: A Retrospective on KeloSpeaking EngagementFlamingo Hotel, Las Vegas, NV, 4.19.07
- State and Local Government Law, 8.5.11
- Firm Co-Chair and Principal