Matt believes that problem solving is best achieved through a clear understanding of all sides of a dispute. Whether a case is headed to trial or early resolution, Matt uses this understanding to design pragmatic strategies that keep his clients’ interests at the forefront.
Matt focuses his practice on business litigation, as well as professional liability defense, real estate, and securities. He has represented professionals, hospitals, emerging companies, and national retailers in the defense of multi-million dollar claims.
His experience reaches all stages of litigation, including jury trials, arbitration, motion practice, alternative dispute resolution, and appeals in state and federal court. Matt is also a speaker and author of publications covering a variety of litigation-related topics.
- American Bar Association, Member
- Oregon Association of Defense Counsel, Member
- Former Publications Liaison for Professional Liability Practice Group
- Multnomah Bar Association, Member
- Washington County Bar Association, Member
- Northwest Immigrant Rights Project, Pro Bono Attorney, 2017-present
- Disability Rights Oregon, Pro Bono Attorney, 2013-2016
- Forest Park Elementary Site Council, Representative, 2014-2015
- Portland Youth Soccer Association, Coach, 2013-2015
Defended local startup company in securities fraud action. Damages of over $1.2 million alleged. Successfully defeated plaintiffs' motion for summary judgment with subsequent settlement for client.
Obtained dismissal on summary judgment in favor of client in strict foreclosure and breach of contract action. Recovered attorney fees and costs, and an award of enhanced prevailing party fees.
Defense of civil rights claims brought against national retailer in federal court. Obtained summary judgment in favor of client, affirmed by Ninth Circuit.
Successfully argued to Oregon Court of Appeals, upholding defense verdict in medical malpractice action brought against local hospital.
Defended local hospital on federal ADA and discrimination claims. Tried to a jury, resulting in complete defense verdict. Appeal to Ninth Circuit dismissed.
Represented plaintiff in breach of contract action and small business dissolution dispute. Tried to a jury. Verdict in favor of client, plus an award of enhanced prevailing party fees.
Successfully argued to Oregon Supreme Court, upholding dismissal of underinsured motorist claim.
Obtained dismissal of legal malpractice action for client on summary judgment. Affirmed by Oregon Court of Appeals.
News & Insights
- Foster Garvey Newsroom, 8.20.20
- Foster Garvey Newsroom, 3.19
- "May the Force Majeure Be With You: Examining Commercial Lease Disputes Related to COVID-19," Multnomah Bar Association COVID-19 CLE SeriesWebinarVirtual Event, 4.21.20
- “Complaints, Answers, and Motions to Dismiss: A Practical Guide to Effective Pleading Practice,” Multnomah Bar Association CLE Seminar, Co-PresenterEventPortland, OR, 9.15.16
- May the Force Majeure Be With You: Examining Emerging Trends in Contract Disputes Related to COVID-19Oregon Business Lawyer, September 2020
- The Verdict, Winter 2019
- The Verdict, Summer 2018
- Case Note - Attorney Malpractice: Sherertz et al. v. Brownstein, Rask, Sweeney, Kerr, Grim, Desylvia & Hay LLP, 288 Or App 719 (2017)The Verdict, Spring 2018
- Avoiding the Wah, Wah, Wah Effect: Requiring Proof of the Underlying Claim Before Pleading Punitive DamagesThe Verdict , Fall 2010
- The Verdict, Summer 2006
- 9 Lewis & Clark Law Review 720, 2005
- U.S. District Court, District of Oregon
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 9th Circuit
- J.D., Northwestern School of Law of Lewis & Clark College, 2005
- Outstanding Appellate Brief
- Dean's Fellowship for Excellence Scholarship
- Pro Bono Honors Award
- Outstanding Client Advocacy Award
- M.P.W., University of Southern California, 2000
- B.A., University of Colorado (with distinction), 1996
- Phi Beta Kappa
Honors & Recognition
- Best Lawyers in America® Commercial Litigation, 2021
- Dallaire Public Service Award, Recipient, 2019
- Portland Business Journal's Forty Under 40, Runners Up List, 2014