Labor and employment litigation is costly, often unnecessary and almost always the least effective way to achieve a favorable result. Because of the intense emotions involved, it usually takes more time to resolve this type of litigation than other types.
Foster Garvey attorneys have been extremely successful helping clients avoid this waste of resources. A primary reason for this success is Win². Developed by our firm, this process enables parties to a filed or threatened lawsuit to assess at an early stage whether the dispute can be resolved constructively, before they spend large amounts on legal fees and their positions harden.
Win² is designed to resolve most employment litigation within two months of a lawsuit being filed. Win² is based on a collaborative discussion model. Parties exchange information voluntarily at the beginning of a lawsuit or a dispute. Most disputes or lawsuits in which we have used Win² (more than 50) have been resolved without significant discovery, cost or disruption to our client’s operations. Some disputes, of course, can be resolved only with a lawsuit or administrative proceeding. In that event, we vigorously and tenaciously represent our clients.
Our lawyers have experience defending a broad spectrum of businesses and other organizations against a variety of claims, including:
- Wrongful discharge
- Whistle-blower and other retaliation
- Common law torts such as defamation and infliction of emotional distress
- Violation of wage and hour laws
- Employee benefits laws
The Foster Garvey Labor, Employment & Immigration team also represents employers in disputes involving noncompetition and nondisclosure clauses as well as other employment-related contract provisions.
News & Events
- Duff on Hospitality Law, 6.5.19
- Family Business Bulletin, 4.30.19
- Duff on Hospitality Law, 4.30.19
- Cannabis Business Blog, 4.30.19
- Duff on Hospitality Law, 9.13.18
- “FMLA, OFLA, ADAAA, OMG: The Dos, Don’ts, Hows and Whys of Protected Leave Laws,” BOLI's 34th Annual Employment Law ConferencePresentationPortland, OR, 11.2.18
- Speaking engagement10.8.15
- “Anatomy Of An Employment Case,” Northwest Association of Human Resource ProfessionalsSpeaking engagement6.07
- “Legal Ethics Issues in Employment Cases,” Spokane County Bar Association's CLE, Hot Topics in Employment LawSpeaking engagement3.07
- “Sex & Other Discrimination Claims,” Laws Against Discrimination in Rental Properties, Olympic Rental Association, Spokane ChapterSpeaking engagement9.05
- Personal Liability for Directors and Managers and Litigation of FLSA ClaimsWashington Wage and Hour Update, 9.03
- Employment: Creation and Use of An Employment Manual; Agreements and Their Enforceability; and Harassment SuitsWashington State Bar Association CLE Essentials of Advising the Small Business, 8.97
- Firm Co-Chair and Principal
- Of Counsel