Mike focuses his practice on traditional labor matters, as well as on employment law. He provides counsel to public and private employers, with special emphasis in the healthcare, technology and hospitality industries.
Mike assists employers in all aspects of labor relations, from planning for potential union organizing to guidance through the election process, from formulating strategy for collective bargaining to representing employers at the bargaining table, from counseling companies on administrating union contracts to litigating disputes if necessary.
Mike also counsels clients on workplace issues, including discrimination, harassment, employee restrictive covenants, employee training, wage-and-hour requirements, terminations, and policy creation and implementation.
Mike is a firm believer in close collaboration with clients, thoughtful advance planning, and strategizing responses to potential challenges or disputes. He is cognizant of the costs, financial and otherwise, of litigating disputes, and therefore explores early resolution options with clients where such options make sense. That said, Mike is a seasoned litigator, and ably advocates for clients when the need arises. Mike has extensive experience before state and federal courts, arbitrators, and administrative agencies (including the National Labor Relations Board, Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, and Departments of Labor and Justice, Washington’s Public Employment Relations Commission, Department of Labor, and Human Rights Commission and Seattle’s Office of Civil Rights).
When not at work, Mike can be found enjoying time with his family, tasting wine and contributing to the slow deterioration of his hearing (with earplugs) at concerts in the area.
- Washington Appleseed
- Board President, 2015-2017
- Secretary, 2013
- Board Member, 2012
Tried breach of contract dispute in King County Superior Court, resulting in favorable jury verdict.
Represented new employers in defending against claims of new employee breach of noncompete, nonsolicitation, and confidentiality agreements brought by former employer.
Negotiated successfully several collective bargaining agreements for large healthcare employer.
Enforced various noncompete, nonsolicitation, and confidentiality agreements in court by obtaining temporary restraining orders and preliminary injunctions in favor of employers.
Defended and favorably settled multi-plaintiff claims of race and disability discrimination against highly visible business without any publicity or court filing.
Achieved dismissal of Department of Justice investigation of accessibility issues at large healthcare employer.
- What Requirements Washington Employers Need to Know About State Paid Sick Leave Law That Becomes Effective January 1, 2018Duff on Hospitality Law, 12.12.17
- Duff on Hospitality Law, 8.11.16
- Duff on Hospitality Law, 2.25.16
- Duff on Hospitality Law, 1.22.13
- Duff on Hospitality Law, 7.18.12
- Duff on Hospitality Law, 5.31.12
- Duff on Hospitality Law, 4.16.12
- Duff on Hospitality Law, 1.13.12
- Duff on Hospitality Law, 8.4.11
- Duff on Hospitality Law, 5.12.11
- Duff on Hospitality Law, 1.21.11
- Duff on Hospitality Law, 10.29.10
News & Insights
- "Practical Observations and Lessons Learned from Negotiating during the Pandemic," NW LERA (Labor and Employment Relations Association) 45th Collective Bargaining and Arbitration ConferenceSpeaking EngagementVirtual Event, 4.21.22
- "Into the Unknown: Court and Arbitration Rulings on COVID," NW LERA (Labor and Employment Relations Association) 45th Collective Bargaining and Arbitration ConferenceSpeaking EngagementVirtual Event, 4.21.22
- Speaking EngagementVirtual Event, 3.25.21
- Cannabis Business SeminarPortland, OR, 5.18.17
- "ADA Compliance: Reservations, Pools & Facilities," 2012 Oregon Restaurant & Lodging Association ConventionSpeaking EngagementEugene, OR, 9.24.12
- Washington, 2004
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Washington
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Washington
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court, Western District of Washington
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 9th Circuit
- J.D., University of Virginia Law School, 2004
- B.A., Wesleyan University, 2000
Honors & Recognition
- Rising Star, Washington Super Lawyers, 2009-2018