Hillary is a business, food & beverage and CPG, beauty/wellness, sports & entertainment, fashion & apparel and technology attorney.
Hillary represents sports & entertainment talent, entrepreneurs, start-up businesses and established brands as well as angel, venture capital and private equity investors. She serves as the Chair of the firm’s Sports, Arts & Entertainment practice and chairs the Food & Beverage practice. Hillary counsels clients on a full range of matters, from day-to-day operational concerns to sophisticated transactions. Like the innovative entrepreneurs, talent and brands she advises, Hillary strives to bring creative yet practical strategies to legal services, assisting clients with brand and asset protection, risk management and dispute resolution. The matters on which Hillary counsels are often cross-border in nature.
The clients of her business practice include entrepreneurs, start-up businesses and established brands as well as angel, venture capital and private equity investors. Hillary has a broad transactional background, advising her business clients with a variety of matters, including corporate structure, capital raising and financing, commercial matters, intellectual property matters, mergers and acquisitions and other exit transactions.
Hillary’s food & beverage and consumer packaged goods (CPG), beauty/wellness practice focuses on advising clients in the better-for-you, natural, organic, plant-based, vegan, cultivated, cultured meat or cell-based meat, food tech as well as pet food arenas, including brands disrupting their categories and those developing innovative technology. She also serves international brands expanding into the United States, as well as investors and vendors partnering with these brands. She counsels these clients on operational concerns and sophisticated transactions including raising capital, intellectual property development and protection, manufacturing/packing, broker, distribution, supply and other services arrangements as well as on other commercial matters and exit transactions. With the increasing trend of brands and celebrities to partner, Hillary often finds her food & beverage and sports & entertainment practices intersecting and assists brands or their celebrity partners on investment and/or endorsement transactions. The Food & Beverage practice produces a weekly publication focusing on regulatory, market, operations and transactions in the start-up and emerging food & beverage industry called the Emerging Food & Beverage Update. Click here to subscribe.
Hillary’s sports & entertainment clients include new and established athletes, recording artists, actors, television personalities, writers, producers, journalists, broadcasters, photographers, fashion designers, chefs and talent agents and managers. Her counsel to them spans a broad range of services on matters such as brand and intellectual property protection and licensing, services arrangements, rights acquisition and disposition, entrepreneurship and investment and post-career planning.
Hillary’s fashion & apparel practice provides a full suite of legal services to designers, manufacturers, distributors and retailers of fashion, jewelry, apparel, footwear and accessory products sold at all price points – from affordable goods to luxury offerings. She regularly advises fashion and apparel clients on launching, investing in, scaling, and protecting their valuable brands in a global marketplace. She provides boutique quality specialized industry knowledge and experience backed by the resources of a full-service mid-sized international law firm. She understands that effective representation involves leveraging a variety of areas of law to accomplish the objectives of the fashion and apparel brands she services.
Her experience also includes handling trial and appellate litigation. Hillary has successfully advocated before the Appellate Division of the State of New York. She has participated in numerous alternative dispute resolution forums involving commercial and tort matters. In addition, Hillary serves as an arbitrator in the Small Claims Part of the Civil Court for the City of New York.
When not serving her clients, Hillary dedicates time to pro bono service to both non-profit organizations and individuals unable to afford legal services and serves as a volunteer to a variety of public charities. Hillary’s involvement in the legal community includes membership in local bar associations such as the New York County Lawyers’ Association, where she served as chair of its Corporation Law Committee for seven years. She is also a member of the Sports, Entertainment and International Law and Practice Sections of the American, New York State, and New York Women's Bar Associations. Hillary is also a member of the Sports Lawyers Association and the Business Law Section of the American Bar Association, the New York City Bar Association and the Jewish Lawyers Guild.
What clients say about Hillary:
“I was impressed with her ability to grasp the concepts and complexities of our vision. She offered sound legal judgment and showed her business acumen to plan a course of action. It was easy to see she would be tough-minded and direct in business situations and discussions...but also incredibly understanding and compassionate. She has demonstrated outstanding strategic planning advice geared towards the success of major projects and events. She is always thinking "big" picture in our business efforts, but detail analysis is never overlooked. She possesses unquestionable accountability and commitment to objectives.”
“Successful negotiations are about attitude, aptitude, strategy, and execution, and Hillary excels on all counts. She is a pleasure to work with - tough-minded but with a sense of humor even in the heat of battle. Even when not in negotiations, Hillary is always "on the case" and her follow-up skills are remarkable.
“I always feel confident that she has my best interests in mind. Hillary always responds to my communication promptly, even occasionally on the weekend when the need has arisen. I’ve always been confident that she will guide me towards the best decision for each situation.”
“It is a pleasure to work with Hillary. She is very thorough, honest, knowledgeable and always makes enough time to work with me on various issues regardless of how big or small they are.”
- Academy of Television Arts & Sciences, Member, 2012-present
- 35th College Television Awards, Judge, February 2014
- American Bar Association, Member, 1997-present
- Civil Court of the City of New York, Small Claims Part, Arbitrator, 2009-present
- Foster Garvey Business & Corporate Finance practice, Chair, 2021-present
- Foster Garvey Emerging Companies practice, Chair, 2019-present
- Foster Garvey Food & Beverage practice, Chair, 2019-present
- Foster Garvey Sports, Arts & Entertainment practice, Chair 2019-present
- Garvey Schubert Barer, Emerging Companies practice, Chair, 2011-2019
- Garvey Schubert Barer, Food & Beverage practice, Chair, 2016-2019
- Garvey Schubert Barer, Arts & Entertainment practice, Chair 2012-2019
- Jewish Lawyers Guild, Member, 1999-present
- New York City Bar Association, Member, 1999-present
- New York County Lawyers Association, Member
- Chair, Corporation Law Committee, 2000-2007
- New York State Bar Association, Member, 1997-present
- Plant Based Foods Association, Member, 2018-present
- The Recording Academy, Member, 2012-present
- Park Slope Schoolhouse Child Care Center, Inc.
- Chair, Board of Directors, 2012-present
- Vice Chair, 2009-2012
- SKIP (Sick Kids Need Involved People) of New York, Inc.
- Member, Board of Directors, 2011-2016
- Member, Junior Advisory Board, 2007-2011
- Sports & Entertainment Beat, 1.12.21
- Fair Pay to Play Act: Legislation Allowing NCAA Athlete Compensation Signed into Law by California Gov. Gavin NewsomSports & Entertainment Beat, 10.7.19
- Sports & Entertainment Beat, 5.20.19
- Recent Verdict Strengthens the Growing Need for Websites to Increase Accessibility to Disabled IndividualsDuff on Hospitality Law, 8.30.17
- Sports & Entertainment Beat, 7.29.15
- Sports & Entertainment Beat, 6.10.15
- Congratulations to S&E client Joey Alexander for his front page feature in The New York Times and Today Show interview!Sports & Entertainment Beat, 5.15.15
- Sports & Entertainment Beat, 8.15.14
- Sports & Entertainment Beat, 1.22.14
News & Insights
- Foster Garvey Newsroom, 5.20.21
- Foster Garvey Newsroom, 10.28.20
- Foster Garvey Newsroom, 4.23.20
- Hillary Hughes Discusses Key Legal Considerations for the Food & Beverage and CPG Industry on Movers and Shakers PodcastMovers and Shakers with April Wachtel, 1.8.20
- Foster Garvey Newsroom, 6.10.19
- Foster Garvey Newsroom, 4.25.19
- Speaking EngagementNew York, NY, 6.21.18
- Start Spreading the News: New York City Small Businesses May Be Eligible for NYC-Specific COVID-19 Relief Funds4.6.20
- Fair Pay to Play Act: Legislation Allowing NCAA Athlete Compensation Signed into Law by California Gov. Gavin Newsom10.7.19
- Disclosing Endorsements on Social Media: General Considerations for FTC Compliance by Brands and Influencers4.9.19
- Recent Verdict Strengthens the Growing Need for Websites to Increase Accessibility to Disabled Individuals8.14.17
- Upcoming Availability of Internationalized Domain Names Offers Brand Expansion Opportunities While Posing Cybersquatting Risks11.11.09
- Sports & Entertainment Beat Blog, 6.3.15
- Sports and Entertainment Beat, 8.15.14
- New York, 1998
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York, 1998
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York, 1998
J.D., Louisiana State University Law Center, 1997
B.A., Emory University, 1993
Honors & Recognition
- Chambers USA (New York) Leading Individual, Media, Entertainment: Film & Television, 2015-present
- Chambers USA (New York) Up and Coming Lawyer, Media, Entertainment: Film & Television, 2014
- New York Metro Super Lawyers list, 2013-present
- The New York Times supplement, New York Women's Edition, 2018-present
- The New York Times supplement, New York Women's Edition, 2018-present
- Avenue Magazine, Top Women Lawyer in New York City, 2011; 2012; 2015
- New York magazine, Legal Leaders: New York Area’s Top Rated Lawyers, 2012
- The American Registry, Top Attorney in Entertainment & Sports Law (New York Metro Area), 2013
- The New York Times Magazine, Top Women Attorney (Metro New York), 2014
- Avvo Clients' Choice Award, Recipient, 2017
- AV Preeminent Rating, 2010-present
- Bar Register of Preeminent Women Lawyers™