Dan focuses on helping lawyers, accountants and other professionals mitigate risks and resolve complex disputes, often involving securities and business-related litigation.
Dan's practice includes complex business litigation, securities litigation, professional malpractice, class action litigation, appeals and alternative dispute resolution. He has experience negotiating and implementing complicated settlement transactions involving numerous claims and parties. He also counsels professional and institutional clients on risk management issues.
- Oregon State Bar
- Securities Regulation Section
- Chair, 2020
- Chair Elect, 2019
- Secretary, 2018
- Legal Ethics Committee
- Chair, 2018
- Secretary, 2016
- Bar Press & Broadcasters' Council, Member, 2006-2008
- Uniform Civil Jury Instructions Committee
- Chair, 2001
- Member, 1999-2001
- Securities Regulation Section
- Oregon Law Institute of Lewis & Clark School of Law, New Trends in Oregon
- Discovery/Mandamus Review, Speaker and Program Planner, 2013
- City Club of Portland
- Bicycle Transportation Advocacy Committee, Member, 2013-2014
- Liquor Privatization Research Committee, Member, 2013-2014
- Bicycle Transportation Research Committee, Chair, 2012-2013
- Sunnyside Environmental School PTSA
- Board Member, 2008-2014
- Board Secretary, 2012-2013
In securities litigation, conducted depositions and drafted briefs in support of successful summary judgment motion in favor of defendant law firm before the trial court and in successful appeal.
In product liability C-K fuel tank litigation, drafted briefs in favor of plaintiff that successfully opposed manufacturer's motions to dismiss and summary judgment.
In telecommunication securities litigation, drafted and argued successful motion to dismiss claims against a group of defendants.
Drafted agreements and managed resolution of complex class action settlement of companion litigation on behalf of national law firms.
In healthcare antitrust litigation, drafted summary judgment motion on behalf of a physician group that helped persuade plaintiffs to voluntarily dismiss the physician group from the lawsuit. Then prepared claim against the physician group's insurer that resulted in reimbursement of nearly all litigation defense costs.
Successfully petitioned for mandamus review in Oregon Supreme Court on issue of first impression in Oregon concerning attorney-client privilege accorded to in-house counsel.
Drafted and argued successful motion to dismiss securities lawsuit in Oregon Circuit Court on behalf of North Carolina law firm.
Drafted settlement agreements and implemented of complex securities class action settlement on behalf of regional law firm.
- Cannabis Business Blog, 6.27.19
- Cannabis Business Blog, 2.22.18
News & Insights
- Foster Garvey Newsroom, 19
- "The Litigation Aftermath of Aequitas Capital Management," Oregon State Bar Securities Regulation Section CLEPanel DiscussionVirtual Event, 10.7.20
- "Two Case Studies in Securities Litigation: Aequitas SEC Receivership (OR) and Federal Home Loan v. Credit Suisse (WA)," 40th Annual Northwest Securities InstitutePanel DiscussionSeattle, WA, 3.6.20
- "State and Provincial Regulatory Updates," 39th Annual Northwest Securities Institute - Oregon State BarPanel DiscussionPortland, OR, 5.3.19
- "Insecurity: The Interplay of Ethics and Liability for Securities Lawyers," 39th Annual Northwest Securities Institute - Oregon State BarSpeaking EngagementPortland, OR, 5.3.19
- "The Clouds of Oregon’s Blue Sky Law: Securities Liability Risks for Transactional Lawyers," Oregon State Bar Securities Regulation Section MeetingSpeaking EngagementPortland, OR, 12.19.18
- Speaking EngagementPortland, OR, 11.2.18
- Speaking EngagementBend, OR, 5.10.18
- "Ominous Clouds: Things That Can Make Blue Sky Lawyers Blue," WSBA 38th Annual Northwest Securities Institute CLESpeaking EngagementSeattle, WA, 5.4.18
- "Securities Liability for Transactional Lawyers Under Oregon’s Expansive Blue Sky Law," Oregon State Bar Securities Regulation Section EventSpeaking EngagementPortland, OR, 12.20.17
- Speaking EngagementTigard, OR, 9.13.17
- "Oregon's Blue Sky Securities Law—Better Safe than Sorry," Oregon State Bar 2017 RELU Summer ConferenceSpeaking EngagementBend, OR, 8.18.17
- "What You May Not Know About the Application of the Attorney-Client Privilege, Work Product Doctrine and Joint Defense Doctrine in Oregon," Oregon State Bar 2017 RELU Spring ForumSpeaking EngagementTigard, OR, 4.28.17
- inBrief (Oregon State Bar - Professional Liability Fund), June 2019
- Presentation Outline: "Securities Liability for Transactional Lawyers Under Oregon’s Expansive Blue Sky Law," Oregon State Bar Securities Regulation Section EventGSB Newsroom, 12.20.17
- GSB Newsroom, 6.17
- Oregon, 1992
- Washington, 2000
- U.S. District Court, District of Oregon, 1993
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Washington, 2018
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 9th Circuit, 1996
- J.D., Gonzaga University School of Law (magna cum laude), 1992
- B.A., Willamette University, College of Liberal Arts, 1989
Honors & Recognition
Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent rating