Dan has a passion for helping startups and emerging companies navigate the complex business and legal landscape, assisting his clients in every stage of the business lifecycle, from formation and financing to a successful exit.
Dan focuses his practice on advising clients in corporate, securities and financing, trademark and brand protection, intellectual property licensing, wine and beverage law, and commercial transactions.
His experience includes drafting and negotiating complex commercial transactions in the areas of manufacturing, services and technology development. In addition, Dan regularly counsels and assists clients with the strategic acquisition, protection, registration, commercialization and enforcement of all types of intellectual property rights.
Outside of work, Dan is active in several local and charitable organizations by serving as a member of the Board of Directors of Big Brothers Big Sisters of the Inland Northwest and as a member of the Advisory Board for Gonzaga’s New Venture Lab and Gonzaga’s Entrepreneurship Advisory Board. He holds his Juris Doctor from Gonzaga University School of Law.
- American Bar Association, Member
- American Intellectual Property Law Association, Member
- International Trademark Association (INTA), Member
- Spokane County Bar Association, Intellectual Property Section, Member
- Washington Association of Wine Grape Growers, Member
- Washington State Bar Association, Member
- Business Law Section
- Intellectual Property Section
- Big Brothers Big Sisters of the Inland Northwest, Board of Directors
- Gonzaga University
- Entrepreneurship Advisory Board
- New Venture Lab Advisory Board
Represented fast-growing startup in connection with raising more than $12 million in venture capital seed funding and prepared offering documents.
Represented startup company in raising more than $10 million in a Regulation A+ offering and follow-on Regulation D offering on online platform.
Represented multiple startup companies in connection with Regulation CF crowdfunding and Regulation D offerings on online platforms.
Represented many early-stage startup companies in connection with fundraising strategy and pre-seed and seed funding.
Represented U.S. based company in connection with the creation of a Hong Kong joint venture with Chinese company.
Represented consumer products client in the sale of its business for $15 million.
Represented services company with international presence in the sale of its business for $8 million.
Represented SaaS startup in the sale of its business for $5 million.
Represented client in connection with the purchase of business assets of services business for $5 million.
Intellectual Property & Commercial Transactions
Represented SaaS company in the negotiation and execution of multiple six-digit ARR subscription agreements.
Represent clients in the negotiation and execution of multiple technology joint development agreements (both cross-border and domestic) in industries from agriculture and education to mining and aerospace.
Regularly represent brands in obtaining and maintaining trademark assets in jurisdictions around the world.
Represented a public corporation in the assignment of hundreds of patent assets around the world as part of a corporate restructuring.
News & Insights
- Law360, 7.7.21
- Foster Garvey Newsroom, 7.6.21
- "Starting a Business in the Knowledge Economy," WESKA (WSU Entrepreneurship Skills & Knowledge Accelerator) ProgramSpeaking EngagementWashington State University, Pullman, WA, 6.17.22
- Washington, 2009
- J.D., Gonzaga University School of Law (cum laude)
- Gonzaga Law Review, Editor-in-Chief
- B.A., Gonzaga University (magna cum laude), Economics, concentration in Entrepreneurial Leadership, minors in Analytical Finance and Spanish,
Honors & Recognition
- Rising Star, Intellectual Property, Super Lawyers, 2014-2020
- Featured as a Top Lawyer by Spokane Coeur d'Alene Living magazine each year from 2016-2020