Foster Garvey’s White-Collar Defense & Investigations practice successfully represents corporations, other business entities and individuals in a broad range of criminal, civil and administrative matters. We represent business directors, chief executives, corporate officers, private practitioners, government officials, professional athletes and more in matters involving alleged financial fraud, health care fraud, environmental offenses, and other criminal and civil enforcement proceedings. Our team provides proactive, knowledgeable counsel seeking to prevent, minimize or avoid criminal and civil liabilities. When necessary, we vigorously defend our clients in trial and appellate courts against all aspects of federal and state prosecutions.
We have provided assistance in virtually all types of federal and state investigations, including health care fraud and False Claims Act allegations, international trade and investigations under the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, government contracts and procurement claims, allegations concerning environmental, antitrust, and securities law violations, internal investigations of potential irregularities, and other regulatory inquiries. We have extensive experience with criminal, civil and administrative proceedings brought by regulatory bodies such as the Department of Justice, Securities and Exchange Commission, the Federal Trade Commission, the Internal Revenue Service, federal banking regulators and state attorneys general throughout the United States.
Compliance & Ethics
We partner with clients to develop new and augment existing compliance programs. Our team also conducts risk assessments to proactively address future claims.
Government Investigations & Enforcement Action
We handle all phases of government investigations and enforcement actions from pre-formal inquiry to trial and appeal.
False Claims Act/Health Care Fraud
Our team represents companies and individuals in FCA investigations and legal proceedings or anti-kickback violations brought by the government, as well as by whistleblowers.
Our work includes the regular representation of corporations, nonprofit entities and other organizations. We conduct a wide variety of cost-effective and efficient internal investigations to prevent or reduce claims and protect the interests of the client.
Media and Crisis Management
It is not enough to master the relevant legal and factual issues when representing clients in white collar matters. High-profile government inquiries often trigger intense media scrutiny and public interest that can drive both legal and business outcomes. Our lawyers understand these sensitivities and have skillfully engaged the media and public messaging to advance our clients’ positions and protect against reputational harms in prior representations.
Broad Geographical Reach
Working from strategic locations throughout the Pacific Northwest and in New York City and the District of Columbia, our White-Collar Defense & Investigations lawyers serve clients across the country and in matters of international scope.
News & Events
- KOIN, 6.27.19
- Reliving the ‘Wild’ Times of Rajneeshpuram: Bob Weaver Recounts Rajneesh Cult Takedown as Featured Guest on Law360's Pro Say PodcastFoster Garvey Newsroom, 5.5.18
- The Oregonian, 4.22.18
- Cross Border Business Law Blog, 1.26.17
- Panel DiscussionPortland, OR, 6.27.19
- Speaking EngagementPortland, OR, 4.26.19
- "Rancho Rajneesh—Legal Battles in Wild Country’s 'Utopia'," 26th Annual Litigation Institute & Retreat - Oregon State BarPanel DiscussionStevenson, WA, 3.1.19
- "The Clouds of Oregon’s Blue Sky Law: Securities Liability Risks for Transactional Lawyers," Oregon State Bar Securities Regulation Section MeetingSpeaking EngagementPortland, OR, 12.19.18
- Speaking EngagementPortland, OR, 11.2.18
- "An Inside Look at the Case Behind 'Wild Wild Country' – the Takedown of the Rajneeshpuram," inFusion '18 presented by ExterroSpeaking EngagementPortland, OR, 10.17.18
- "Rajneeshpuram: Legal Legacy & Lessons," 2018 O’Connell Conference, University of Oregon School of LawPanel DiscussionEugene, OR, 9.7.18
- Speaking EngagementStevenson, WA, 3.16.18
- SeminarGarvey Schubert Barer, Portland, OR, 4.26.12
- "Conflicts Between Duty to Report and Agency Access to Internal Investigations," Federal Administrative Law Seminar, Washington State Bar Association Administrative Law Section CLESpeaking EngagementSeattle, WA, 9.15.11
- "Avoiding the Ethical Pitfalls of Internal Investigations: How to Protect Your Client and Yourself," The Criminal Law and Business Law Sections of the OSBSeminarMultnomah Athletic Club, Portland, OR, 2.17.11
- "Optimizing the Use of Outside Counsel for Litigation, Investigations and Regulatory Enforcement Proceedings with a Focus on the Fallout from the Ongoing Credit Market Crisis," Greater New York Chapter of the Association of Corporate CounselSeminarThe Cornell Club, New York, NY, 7.28.09
- inBrief (Oregon State Bar - Professional Liability Fund), June 2019
- Puget Sound Business Journal, 2.16.18
- Presentation Outline: "Securities Liability for Transactional Lawyers Under Oregon’s Expansive Blue Sky Law," Oregon State Bar Securities Regulation Section EventGSB Newsroom, 12.20.17
- GSB Newsroom, 6.17
- State Tax Notes, 7.25.16
- Commonweal, 10.6.06
- Of Counsel
- Of Counsel