John serves as general outside counsel to business organizations and their owners, advising on a range of legal issues, controversies and opportunities.
John advises clients on a wide array of commercial matters, such as service agreements, licenses and other contracts; mergers and acquisitions; equity and debt financings; and other business transactions.
John represents clients in multiple industries, in particular government contracting, transportation and food & beverage.
For government contracting clients, many of John’s clients are small to medium sized companies that are based in the Washington, D.C. metropolitan area and provide goods and services for U.S. Government procurement. He advises on government contracts, subcontracts, teaming agreements and joint ventures; on organizational and financing issues; on the structure and negotiations of mergers and acquisitions; and on obtaining novations. John also advises clients with regard to bid protests and government contract disputes.
For transportation clients, John represents numerous transportation companies that provide services to the U.S. Government, especially the U.S. Department of Defense under the U.S. Transportation Command (USTRANSCOM).
For food & beverage clients, John’s practice focuses on advising clients in the natural, organic, plant-based, vegan and food tech arenas.
He has advised clients in numerous transactions, helping them achieve excellent results when they sell their companies.
- American Law Institute, Instructor, 1997-1999
- "An Introduction to the Legal System"
- Bar Association of the District of Columbia, Member
- Democracy International
- Egyptian Parliamentary Elections, Election Observer, 2014
- Federal Contracting Academy, Montgomery County Community College, Instructor, 2011
- "Introduction to Federal Procurement Law"
- Maryland State Bar Association, Member
- Business Law Section
- Subcommittee on Emerging Companies
- Business Law Section
- BSA Venture Crew 52 (Chevy Chase, MD), Venture Advisor, 2015-present
- East Bethesda Citizen Association, Member
News & Insights
- "Ethics and Compliance for Government Contractors," MACPA's Southern Maryland Government Contractors' ConferenceSpeaking EngagementCalifornia, MD, 5.25.22
- SeminarGarvey Schubert Barer, 10.3.13
- "Negotiating the Deal," National Association of Broadcasters Education Foundation Broadcast Leadership Training ProgramSpeaking EngagementWashington, D.C., 2007-2010
- "Be Aware: Federal and State Securities Rules Apply to Start-up Companies," Montgomery County’s Business Innovation Network LuncheonSpeaking EngagementShady Grove Innovation Center, Rockville, MD, 3.11.10
- "Safety Act for Certified Cargo Screening Facilities," Global Trade and Commerce Association, Air Cargo Security SummitSpeaking EngagementOrlando, FL, 10.28.09
- "Prime Versus Sub Considerations," Maryland Association of CPAs, Annual Government Contractors ConferenceSpeaking EngagementGaithersburg, MD, 9.9.09
- "How to Avoid Pitfalls in Government Subcontracts," Garvey Schubert Barer and Macro Solutions, Inc.SeminarGarvey Schubert Barer, Washington, D.C., 6.24.08
- Aggressive Enforcement Increases Importance of “Country of Origin” Compliance in Federal Contracting8.7.13
- DoD Adopts Final Rules That May Allow Project Management Support Contractors to See Your Proprietary Technical Data and Software6.5.13
- Sequestration & Austerity May Increase Government’s Use of Terminations for Convenience – Be Prepared!3.12.13
- Subcontractors: Be Careful About Accepting the FAR Clause Requiring a Contractor Code of Business Ethics and Conduct10.1.09
- Radio & Television Business Report, 6.8.16
- Radio & Television Business Report, 12.5.14
- Garvey Schubert Barer News Alert, 11.3.14
- A Stitch In Time: An Annual Audit Will Save You Time And MoneySmall Market Radio Newsletter, 9.2.10
- The Journal of Commerce, 10.12.09
- Maryland, 1993
- District of Columbia, 1995
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims, 2014
- J.D., Washington College of Law, American University (cum laude), 1992
- M.A., American University, Law in International Relations, 1993
- B.A., State University of New York at Albany, Russian, 1986