Claire has practiced intellectual property law since 2001, and she helps businesses and artists build, manage, and leverage their intellectual property assets.
Specifically, Claire provides a full range of counseling, prosecution, portfolio management, enforcement and dispute resolution services for trademark, copyright, domain name, publishing, licensing and agreement matters. Her practice has developed particular expertise in resolving trademark and domain name disputes and crafting cooperative agreements to protect, expand and strengthen intellectual property rights.
Claire provides pro bono intellectual property and other legal services to local non-profit organizations such as the Seattle Symphony, and Shunpike — a Seattle organization dedicated to promoting local art by providing assistance to local artists. She was also on the board of the King County Washington Women Lawyers for several years, and president of that organization in 2005.
- King County Bar Association, Member
- The Shunpike Arts Collective, Board Member, 2003-2009
- Washington State Bar Association, Member
- Washington Women Lawyers, Board Member, 2014
- King County Chapter, President, 2005
Counseled client regarding patent rights ownership and license rights for evaluation software and tool for environmental building evaluations.
Obtained worldwide festival license for right to use musical recording in an independent movie.
Strategized with education client to build up family of trademarks and strengthen brand and trademark rights.
Successfully dismissed or resolved trademark infringement claims and patent infringement claims against apparel industry client.
Successfully navigated close trademark registration issues, including likelihood of confusion, merely descriptive, and primarily merely a surname initial rejections from the US Trademark Office for a variety of clients.
Successfully negotiated a trademark co-existence agreement between two Washington State Indian tribes.
Successfully resolved cease and desist demands against airport parking client for trademark issues.
Successfully resolved by settlement agreement disputes regarding ownership of product design rights and royalties for furniture designer.
- Resolution of Copyright Circuit Split in Favor of “Registration” Approach: Fourth Estate Public Benefit Corp. v. Wall-Street.Com, LLCSports & Entertainment Beat, 4.18.19
- Possible Resolution for Circuit Split on Copyright Issue? U.S. Supreme Court Accepts Cert on Fourth Estate Public Benefit Corp. v. Wall-Street.com LLCSports & Entertainment Beat, 7.16.18
- Sports & Entertainment Beat, 7.24.15
- Cross Border Business Law Blog, 3.24.15
- Duff on Hospitality Law, 1.14.15
- Duff on Hospitality Law, 11.20.14
- Sports & Entertainment Beat, 6.23.14
- Duff on Hospitality Law, 6.6.14
- New Court Ruling Suggests Actors Hold A Copyright Interest In Their Performances: Some Practical Tips for Performance Agreements and Appearance ReleasesSports & Entertainment Beat, 3.18.14
News & Insights
- Foster Garvey Newsroom, 6.10.19
- EventSeattle, WA, 2.7.17
- SeminarPortland, OR, 4.10.15
- "You Can’t Say That!—Examining the Ethics of Attorney Communications," Washington Women Lawyers Annual CLESpeaking EngagementSeattle, WA, 10.11.13
- Speaking EngagementSeattle, WA, 8.1.13
- Resolution of Copyright Circuit Split in Favor of “Registration” Approach: Fourth Estate Public Benefit Corp. v. Wall-Street.Com, LLC4.2.19
- In Recent Amicus Brief, ABA Urges Supreme Court to Allow Faster Filing of Copyright Infringement Suits9.17.18
- Possible Resolution for Circuit Split on Copyright Issue? U.S. Supreme Court Accepts Cert on Fourth Estate Public Benefit Corp. v. Wall-Street.com LLC7.9.18
- New Rules Regarding Designation of Copyright Agent1.17
- Time to Contemplate Trademark Registration in Cuba?3.15
- So What's in a Name? Understanding, Identifying, Protecting and Using Trademarks: The Basics for HoteliersHSMAI, 9.12.14
- Sports & Entertainment Beat, 6.23.14
- Garvey Schubert Barer, 4.25.14
- January 2003
- Business & Corporate Finance
- China Practice
- Commercial & IP Transactions
- Communications, Telecom & Media
- Copyright & Trademark
- Food & Beverage
- Government Contracts
- Hospitality, Travel & Tourism
- IP & Technology
- Intellectual Property Litigation
- Native American Law
- Privacy, Cybersecurity & Data Protection
- Sports, Arts & Entertainment
- Washington, 2001
- Alaska, 2016
- Oregon, 2015
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Washington, 2002
- U. S. District Court, Western District of Washington, 2002
- CIPP/US, Certified Information Privacy Professional, 2020
- J.D., Brigham Young University - J. Reuben Clark Law School, 2001
- Brigham Young University Law Review, Law Review Board, Web Editor
- B.A., Brigham Young University, English, 1996
Honors & Recognition
- Chambers USA (Washington) Recognized Practitioner, Intellectual Property, 2016-2018
- Washington Super Lawyers list, 2018-2019
- Top 50 Washington Women, 2019
- Rising Star, Washington Super Lawyers, 2012-2014; 2006-2009
- Washington Women's Edition, 2013-2014
- Butch Blum Award of Excellence, Recipient, 2005