Foster Garvey’s Water Rights team helps clients navigate the complex laws and regulations affecting water rights in Washington state. Our attorneys have a comprehensive understanding of state water law, Washington State Department of Ecology and Department of Health statues and rules, and Native American treaty rights. We employ flexible fee arrangements to maximize value for our clients.
Our team delivers the full spectrum of legal services to private property owners, developers, growers, special purposes districts, water purveyors, and municipalities in the following areas:
- Analysis of relinquishment and abandonment matters
- Defense of water right approvals
- Development and implementation of mitigation strategies
- Implementation of and updates to water system plans
- Multi-party negotiations concerning water resources
- Processing new water rights and water right changes and transfers
- Protection and utilization of private and municipal water rights
- Utility service extensions
- Water right adjudications
- Water rights acquisition and sales
- Water rights extent and validity review
- “Wet Growth” matters
Foster Garvey Water Rights attorneys are experienced in related legal fields, including environmental, real estate, and land use. This depth of experience enables us to provide cost-effective legal services to our clients as we are well-situated to provide counsel on water resource-related issues spanning several legal disciplines. Our practice approach is based on a mutual respect for all stakeholders. We find that this approach results in efficient legal services and often yields the best results for the client. Although we strive to avoid litigation, we have extensive experience and success handling appeals of water right matters before the State Pollution Control Hearings Board, the Growth Management Hearing Board and in state court.