Foster Garvey has extensive experience assisting both large and small ports and terminals throughout Washington state and the Pacific Northwest with a variety of legal and business matters, including real estate, land use, environmental, public finance, litigation and dispute resolution, and construction and regulatory issues.
We have particularly deep knowledge in addressing issues that are unique to public and municipal entities, including compliance with public disclosure laws and open public meetings requirements. As an active participant and member of the Washington Public Ports Association, we strive to help Pacific Northwest ports meet all of their business needs and objectives.
We regularly provide legal services to our port and terminal clients, including the following:
- Compliance and litigation advice related to public records, including assessing and implementing electronic search and recovery of materials responsive to Public Records Act requests and review of commission sessions for Open Public Meetings Act Compliance
- Contaminated property remediation and cost-recovery efforts
- Real estate, including lease negotiations, purchase and sale agreements, interlocal agreements and related litigation, public-private partnerships, and transaction document drafting and negotiations
- Eminent domain analysis
- Environmental regulatory compliance, dispute resolution and litigation, including Clean Water Act Sections 401, 402 and 404 compliance, and Endangered Species Act Section 7 consultations and Section 9 compliance
- FAA regulatory counsel
- Inverse condemnation, nuisance and trespass claims
- Insurance coverage counseling and litigation
- Land use and permitting projects, including tenant land use and complex port projects involving local, state and federal regulations
- Municipal governance and finance, including bonds
- Noise impact claims
- Firm Co-Chair and Principal