- What We Do
Foster Garvey has had a sophisticated international practice since the early 1970s. In 1973 we were one of the first U.S. law firms to place an attorney in Japan. In 1979 our firm’s attorneys helped negotiate the reopening of shipping relations between the United States and the People's Republic of China after a hiatus of nearly 30 years. Since the 1980s we have represented the Canadian federal and provincial governments before the U.S. Supreme Court and the federal appellate courts litigation involving transboundary environmental and natural resource issues. Today, our clients and attorneys continue to work at the forefront of expanding Pacific Rim trade and investment.
We represent clients coming from or going to countries in Asia, Europe, South America, Africa, Oceania and the Middle East as well as in North America. Foster Garvey’s International team helps our clients achieve their cross-border objectives through a wide array of services and in a number of diverse industries. We combine legal skills, personal relationships, language abilities and cultural understanding to address legal issues and provide practical solutions for our clients. The firm's language capabilities include Japanese, Mandarin Chinese, Korean, French, and Spanish. Since many of our attorneys have lived and worked overseas, including in various Pacific Rim countries, we have a deep appreciation of the cultural context in which business is conducted and the associated legal requirements.
We have more than 40 years of experience dealing with the unique challenges faced by enterprises engaging in cross-border activities and individuals seeking to live and work abroad. The experience and capabilities of our international practice team spans the types of legal and tax services our clients need – from the start-up phase to successful conclusion, and all stages in between.
Foster Garvey is a member of Globalaw, a worldwide network of over 100 independent law firms with over 4,500 lawyers in 160 cities. The firm also enjoys long-standing relationships with numerous well-established law firms throughout the world. Our lawyers are active in international bar associations, which keep us abreast of important legal developments in significant foreign jurisdictions.
News & Events
- Foster Garvey Welcomes George Bonini as Principal in the Firm's Business & Corporate Finance PracticeFoster Garvey Newsroom, 9.12.22
- Foster Garvey Newsroom, 12.17.18
- Foster Garvey Newsroom, 3.5.18
- Cross Border Business Law Blog, 2.26.20
- Cross Border Business Law Blog, 3.22.19
- Cross Border Business Law Blog, 3.1.19
- Cross Border Business Law Blog, 12.28.18
- New U.S. Law on Foreign Investment Further Complicates Future Chinese Investments in the United StatesCross Border Business Law Blog, 8.13.18
- Cross Border Business Law Blog, 2.13.18
- Cross Border Business Law Blog, 12.28.17
- Cross Border Business Law Blog, 6.7.17
- Cross Border Business Law Blog, 1.26.17
- Cross Border Business Law Blog, 1.17.17
- Cross Border Business Law Blog, 9.29.16
- Speaking EngagementVirtual Event, 2.23.21
- Speaking EngagementVirtual Event, 12.10.20
- “There’s No Place for Us – Empowering Women in the Legal Profession,” American Bar Association, International Law SectionSpeaking EngagementVirtual Event, 6.3.20
- Speaking EngagementVirtual Event, 5.29.20
- Speaking EngagementVirtual Event, 4.16.20
- Speaking Engagement1.24.20
- "US-China Women's Leadership Forum: Professional Growth Advice for Attorneys," Washington State China Relations CouncilPanel discussionSeattle, 1.9.19
- Speaking engagementSeattle, WA, 11.12.18
- "Structuring and Protecting Business Investments in the United States," (for Asian investors), Globalaw Annual Members Meeting 2018Panel discussionDallas, TX, 10.24-27, 2018
- "International Estate Planning Q&A," Santa Clara University School of Law's 14th Annual Jerry A. Kasner Estate Planning SymposiumSpeaking engagementSanta Clara, CA, 10.4-10.5, 2018
- Speaking engagementPortland, OR, 6.15.18
- “The 35th Anniversary of the Formation of the Iran-U.S. Claims Tribunal, Which Spawned the World of Investment Arbitration,” International Arbitration Club of New YorkSpeaking EngagementNew York, NY, 10.24.16
- The Government’s New Oversight of Real Estate Deals With Foreigners: A Roadmap for Applying the CFIUS Rules2.24.20
- American Bar Association, Section of International Law - Art & Cultural Heritage Law Newsletter, Winter 2018
- Garvey Schubert Barer, 10.6.16
- FATCA in Canada: Analyzing the Canadian Implementing Legislation’s Restriction on the Class of Entities Subject to FATCA, 62:3Canadian Tax Journal 587, 2014
Gregg Rodgers, Immigration Attorney at Garvey Schubert Barer, discusses the Intracompany Transferee visa. This visa makes it possible for two related business entities to transfer executives, managers, and people with specialized knowledge into the U.S. for a total of up to five years.
- Of Counsel
- Office Managing Director and Principal
- Of Counsel