- What We Do
- IP & Technology
Foster Garvey’s Intellectual Property attorneys provide the guidance and knowledge required to help our clients maximize the value of their portfolio and safeguard their valuable IP assets. Our team helps simplify the process involved in the protection, exploitation and disposition of assets.
We represent the full spectrum of clients in IP matters, from individual inventors to small start-up ventures and global leaders of industry, with a practice that embraces U.S. and international patent, trademark and copyright protection, prosecution, litigation, licensing, portfolio acquisitions and counseling in a diverse array of industry sectors. We also have experience with trade secrets, false advertising, privacy, domain names and emerging technologies.
We serve clients in industries including aerospace, alternative energy, apparel, computer science, construction and heavy equipment, electrical engineering, electronic commerce and Internet, mechanical engineering, medical devices, powered vehicles, robotics, software, sports and recreational equipment, and telecommunications, among others.
Patent Copyright & Trademark
Foster Garvey’s Patent attorneys counsel companies of all sizes in connection with the development and implementation of patent strategies, evaluating the patentability of new inventions, and preparing and prosecuting patent applications in the United States and around the world.
The firm’s experienced Copyright & Trademark attorneys are well-positioned to dispense practical legal advice with respect to copyright, trademark and advertising law. Our services include selection, clearance and registration, licensing, structuring and restructuring ownership, as well as copyright and trademark experience in connection with corporate transactions and bankruptcy restructurings. Also, we work with our clients on advertising issues, including the proper use of content.
IP & U.S. Patent & Trademark Office (USPTO) Litigation
Foster Garvey’s Intellectual Property Litigation team enjoys a successful track record of defending and prosecuting our clients’ interests. We invest the time and resources to develop and execute effective strategies in IP disputes, including patent, copyright, trademark, licensing and trade secret matters.
The America Invents Act (AIA) substantially modified the field of patent litigation. A comprehensive intellectual property strategy should include legal counsel with patent office litigation experience. Foster Garvey's Patent attorneys have significant experience in post-grant procedures and inter partes review, as well as covered business method post-grant review, ex parte and inter partes reexaminations. Our attorneys also handle ex parte and inter-party IP appeals and disputes in from of the TTAB. Our representation of both plaintiffs and defendants better positions us to accomplish favorable outcomes for our clients.
Commercial & IP Agreements
Our extensive intellectual property licensing and distribution work includes the representation of start-up ventures, middle market companies and more with respect to the following services: development agreements, license agreements, distribution agreements (including OEM, VAR and sales representative), technology transfer agreements, confidentiality agreements, employee and contractor IP agreements, electronic commerce agreements, and strategic alliances and joint ventures.
News & Events
- Foster Garvey Newsroom, 1.14.20
- Jetoptera Awarded Three Critical Patents for Fluidic Propulsive System, Vertical Take-Off and Landing Configuration, and Flying Car DesignFoster Garvey Newsroom, 1.8.20
- Foster Garvey Newsroom, 11.20.19
- Foster Garvey Newsroom, 10.22.19
- “SAP Files Reply Brief in InvestPic’s SCOTUS Appeal of ‘Physical Realm’ Test for Patent Eligibility,” IP WatchdogIPWatchdog, 6.3.19
- SCOTUSBlog, 5.16.19
- Foster Garvey Newsroom, 3.15.19
- Foster Garvey Newsroom, 9.20.18
- Resolution of Copyright Circuit Split in Favor of “Registration” Approach: Fourth Estate Public Benefit Corp. v. Wall-Street.Com, LLCSports & Entertainment Beat, 4.18.19
- Cannabis Business Blog, 11.15.18
- Duff on Hospitality Law, 10.24.18
- Possible Resolution for Circuit Split on Copyright Issue? U.S. Supreme Court Accepts Cert on Fourth Estate Public Benefit Corp. v. Wall-Street.com LLCSports & Entertainment Beat, 7.16.18
- The New BE-120: Mandatory Reporting of Foreign Transactions in Services and Intellectual Property – Upcoming June 29, 2018 DeadlineCross Border Business Law Blog, 6.22.18
- Sports & Entertainment Beat, 8.29.17
- Cannabis Business Blog, 3.22.17
- Duff on Hospitality Law, 3.7.17
- Sports & Entertainment Beat, 11.2.16
- "Trademarks - Gateway to Shopping: A Generalist's Guide to Trademark Practice," Intellectual Property (IP) for the Non-IP SpecialistSpeaking EngagementSeptember 2019
- Speaking Engagement4.22.19
- Panel DiscussionAtlanta, GA, 10.25.18
- "IP and Video Games Issues: Copyrights, Trademarks and Patents," American Bar Association Young Lawyers DivisionPanel DiscussionWebinar, 4.26.18
- Panel PresentationWashington, D.C., 8.15.17
- EventSeattle, WA, 2.7.17
- Speaking EngagementNovember 2013H
- "Protecting Native American Artists Through Intellectual Property and Non-Profit Law in Washington," Washington State Bar Association Indian Law CLESpeaking EngagementMay 2013
- Speaking EngagementSeattle, WA, April 2013
- Speaking EngagementApril 2013
- EventFebruary 2013
- Resolution of Copyright Circuit Split in Favor of “Registration” Approach: Fourth Estate Public Benefit Corp. v. Wall-Street.Com, LLC4.2.19
- In Recent Amicus Brief, ABA Urges Supreme Court to Allow Faster Filing of Copyright Infringement Suits9.17.18
- Possible Resolution for Circuit Split on Copyright Issue? U.S. Supreme Court Accepts Cert on Fourth Estate Public Benefit Corp. v. Wall-Street.com LLC7.9.18
- New Rules Regarding Designation of Copyright Agent1.17
- Time to Contemplate Trademark Registration in Cuba?3.15
- Cannabis Business Executive, 5.6.20
- IPWatchdog, 4.13.20
- IPWatchdog, 1.30.20
- IPWatchdog, 1.7.20
- HOTEL Yearbook 2017, 3.7.17
- Garvey Schubert Barer, January 2017
- Staff Attorney
- Office Managing Director and Principal
- Staff Attorney