Tom focuses on real estate, hospitality and corporate transactions, including commercial leases and purchase and sale agreements.
Tom represents real estate, hospitality and corporate clients in a diverse array of matters and transactions. He has extensive experience representing commercial tenants and landlords in a wide range of leases for retail, office and industrial properties. Tom frequently works with tenants in the hospitality industry, including restaurants, bars and breweries.
On behalf of hotel owners and operators, Tom regularly advises in hotel management agreements.
Additionally, Tom has significant experience in corporate governance and M&A, advising on asset purchase and sale agreements in various sectors, including hospitality and family-owned & closely held businesses.
- Boulder Bar Association, Real Estate Section, Co-Chair, 2016-2018
- Proud Ground, Pro Bono Volunteer
- Educating and assisting first-time homebuyers to understand home purchase agreement details under the organization’s Community Land Trust model
- Boulder Ballet, Board of Directors, 2015-2019
Ongoing representation of Fortune 20 company in lease negotiations with commercial and industrial developers involving facilities across the United States.
Represented hotel investment group in its $9 million purchase of a hotel in Denver, Colorado. Assisted client in the negotiation of the purchase and sale agreement as well as survey and title review, additional due diligence and closing documents.
Represented commercial landlord in negotiating several office leases in a historic downtown Portland, Oregon, office building, including office buildout terms.
Represented footwear manufacturer in its negotiation of various retail leases and to coordinate the review of additional retail leases in various U.S. locations. Negotiation included lease termination and renewal rights, exclusivity clauses, tenant improvement concessions and limitations on CAM charges.
Represented commercial lighting business in the purchase of an office building in Portland, Oregon. Negotiated the purchase and sale agreement and handled related title review, due diligence and financing document review. Also assisted client with coordinated bank and SBA financing for the project.
Represented Oregon winemaker in its purchase of vineyard acreage in Yamhill County, Oregon, including title review, due diligence matters and preparation of closing documents.
Represents owner/landlord of various office building and shopping centers in connection with leasing, tenant defaults, and other tenant related issues.
Represents a serial real estate investor on acquisitions of multi-unit residential properties throughout metropolitan Denver and the surrounding suburbs.
Represents a national bank for all of its Colorado lease negotiations.
Represents a serial commercial developer on transactions in metropolitan Denver and throughout Colorado. Negotiates loan agreements and purchase agreements for the acquisition of undeveloped land and carries the projects through construction of the retail buildings, which are then leased and/or sold.
Assisted with purchase of a Colorado country club by real estate investment group.
News & Insights
- 57 Foster Garvey Attorneys Recognized Among the 2024 Best Lawyers in America; Two Portland Attorneys Named ‘Lawyer of the Year’Foster Garvey Newsroom, 8.17.23
- Foster Garvey Newsroom, 7.24.23
- Foster Garvey Newsroom, 8.18.22
- Foster Garvey Newsroom, 7.1.22
- Foster Garvey Newsroom, 1.3.22
- Foster Garvey Newsroom, 7.12.21
- "May the Force Majeure Be With You: Examining Commercial Lease Disputes Related to COVID-19," Multnomah Bar Association COVID-19 CLE SeriesWebinarVirtual Event, 4.21.20
- Colorado Real Estate Contracts 101Speaking engagementBoulder, CO, 10.20.16
- May the Force Majeure Be With You: Examining Emerging Trends in Contract Disputes Related to COVID-19Oregon Business Lawyer, September 2020
- Oregon, 2019
- J.D., University of Denver, Sturm College of Law, 2013
- Denver Journal of International Law and Politics, Editor
- B.A., Amherst College, Political Science, 2007
Honors & Recognition
- Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch - Closely Held Companies and Family Business Law, 2023-present
- Rising Star, Oregon Super Lawyers, 2021-present