Rylan focuses his practice on complex civil litigation, helping clients navigate difficult disputes from inception through resolution and on appeal.
Rylan regularly counsels private and public entities on commercial contracts, regulatory compliance, and risk management.
He has litigated a range of cases, including disputes over aerospace patents and supplier relations, Native American reservation boundaries, financial institution class actions, product packaging and labeling, tribal healthcare, commercial real estate, site contamination, antitrust, business torts, and the Uniform Commercial Code. Having tried cases in both state and federal court, as well as in private arbitration, Rylan prides himself on designing creative solutions and strategies to meet the unique needs of each and every case. Balancing advocacy with practical sensibility, clients appreciate Rylan’s energetic, yet straightforward approach.
- Represented an inventor’s estate against an aeronautical parts manufacturer in a dispute over millions in unpaid patent licensing fees.
- Represented a national construction-products manufacturer in a civil antitrust enforcement action against material suppliers engaged in price-fixing.
- Represented multiple hospital and healthcare-facility operators against healthcare networks and third-party administrators in payment disputes involving Indian Health Services, Contract Health Services, and Medicare Like Rates.
- Represented multiple Washington state credit unions in class-action disputes over the assessment of overdraft fees.
- Represented a national battery manufacturer in a commercial lease dispute involving allegations of environmental contamination and structural damage.
- Represented a health supplement products manufacturer in a commercial sales dispute with a major seafood products supplier.
- Represented multiple fishing products manufacturers in patent and trademark disputes.
- Represented the government of Canada against a Washington state biofuel supplier in a U.C.C. dispute involving a multi-national supply contract.
- Represented food product and custom packaging manufacturers in disputes involving alleged violations of California’s Safe Drinking Water and Toxic Enforcement Act (Proposition 65).
- Represented a major electronics recycling facility against a Washington software company in a commercial contract dispute.
News & Insights
- Foster Garvey Newsroom, 11.7.19
- Law360, 10.30.19
- Washington, 2012
- J.D., University of California, Boalt Hall School of Law, 2012
- Law Review, Supervising Editor
- Environmental Law Quarterly, Member
- Federalist Society, Vice President
- B.A., Claremont McKenna College (cum laude), 2007
- Departmental Honors - Government
- McKenna International Award, 2005
- Margaret Martin Brock Award, 2005
- John Brown Cook Association Award, 2005