As a results-oriented dealmaker, Jason enjoys creating solutions that bring together great people, projects and capital.
When working on sophisticated business and financing transactions, Jason focuses on the big picture to ascertain his clients’ strategic business direction and formulate risk mitigation strategies to protect corporate capital and profitability.
His extensive experience includes advising businesses, lenders, investors, startups, and real estate investment companies and developers across the United States, on business transactions from formation to exit, acquisition, due diligence, real estate securities offerings, joint ventures, disposition and financing of real estate.
Jason regularly advises his clients on matters that include:
- All types of transaction matters during a business’s life cycle, including equity financings for startups and business combination transactions such as mergers and acquisitions
- Forming and operating real estate syndications, real estate funds, mortgage pools, and performing and non-performing note pools
- Drafting securities offering documentation, including private placement memoranda and subscription agreements for capital raise projects
- Negotiating, structuring and drafting agreements related to real estate acquisition, disposition, joint venture, and financing activities
Passionate about real estate investing, Jason frequently speaks, writes and teaches on the topic, and is also a real estate investor himself. He has authored two books about private money lenders and is working on an eBook focusing on real estate syndication.
Representative Work: Corporate/M&A
- Represented client in the sale of its business for $75 million.
- Assisted client in the preparation and presentation of due diligence materials in connection with company’s $300 million reverse merger into a SPAC.
- Assisted client in conducting due diligence (including preparation of a due diligence memo) in connection with a potential $75 million acquisition.
- Represent buyer in connection with the acquisition of 11 acres plus improvements for $8 million.
Representative Work: Securities
- Prepared Regulation D offering documents for $100 million real estate opportunity zone fund focused on multifamily investment opportunities through the southeastern United States.
- Prepared Regulation D offering documents for $250 million offering, the proceeds of which would be used for investing in oil and gas exploration and production projects.
- Prepared Regulation D offering documents for $50 million offering, the proceeds of which would be used for the purchase and operation of mobile home parks.
- Prepared Regulation D offering documents for $25 million offering, the proceeds of which were used to purchase and operate multifamily apartment complexes.
- Prepared Regulation D offering documents for $50 million offering, the proceeds of which were to be used to engage in operational businesses within the recreational and medical marijuana industry.
- Prepared Regulation D offering documents for $50 million offering, the proceeds of which would be used for secured private money lending.
Representative Work: Real Estate
- Represent real estate developer on the acquisition, finance and renovation of an $8.8 million apartment complex.
- Represent real estate developer on the acquisition, finance and construction of an $8.7 million apartment complex.
- Represent gas distribution company in the acquisition of 13 retail distribution locations.
- Represent real estate developer on the acquisition, finance and renovation of an $8.5 million apartment complex.
News & Insights
- Law360, 8.4.21
- Foster Garvey Newsroom, 8.2.21
- Speaking EngagementPortland, OR (In-Person and Virtual Event), 10.7.21
- PITCH: How to Present Your Real Estate Deal to Private Money Lenders
- FOUNDATION: A Comprehensive Guide to Finding, Structuring, and Working with Private Money Lenders
- Entity Selection for Real Estate Investors
- Structuring Joint Ventures for Real Estate Investors
- The Ultimate Guide to Self-Directed IRAs for Real Estate Investors: Discover How To Control And Grow Your Retirement Fund
- Understanding Self-Directed IRAsPrivate Lender, January/February 2018
- Understanding the Difference Between 506(c) and Regulation A+Private Lender, July/August 2017
- Oregon, 2017
- Washington, 2008
- Idaho, 2015
- J.D., University of Montana, Alexander Blewett III School of Law, 2008
- Certificate in Venture Finance, VC University Online (University of California, Berkeley), 2021
- Certificate in Commercial Real Estate, Cornell University, 2018
- M.S., Montana State University - Billings, Sports Management, 2000
- B.S., Montana State University - Billings, Finance & Economics, 1999