Brian has concentrated his practice in labor and employment law for more than 30 years.
Brian has extensive experience in labor relations, including: formulating and coordinating labor relations strategies for companies; acting as chief spokesperson and strategist in collective bargaining negotiations; assisting companies in responding to union organizing campaigns; providing counsel regarding administration of union contracts; and litigating arbitration disputes.
Brian also assists clients in their implementation of personnel policies; provides counsel on all aspects of the employment relationship; and furnishes advice on the legal and employment aspects of business decisions, such as acquisitions and workforce reductions.
He conducts seminars for clients on a variety of employment topics including union campaigns, labor relations guidelines, employment practices, discipline of employees and recent legal developments.
Prior to joining legacy firm Garvey Schubert Barer in 1981, he practiced for four years at the National Labor Relations Board.
- American Bar Association, Member
- Labor Law Section, 1985-present
- Garvey Schubert Barer, Chair, Executive Committee, 1997-2000
- Pacific Coast Labor and Employment Law Conference Committee, Member, 1980-1993
- Washington-Oregon Shippers Cooperative Association, Member
- Board of Directors, 1994-2000
- Washington State Society of Hospital Attorneys, Member, 1986-2005
- Cross Border Business Law Blog, 7.12.16
- The NLRB’s Broadened Joint-Employer Standard: New Pitfalls for Companies with Cross-Border RelationshipsCross Border Business Law Blog, 12.16.15
News & Insights
- Foster Garvey Newsroom, 8.19.21
- Foster Garvey Newsroom, 8.15.19
- "How to Manage the Minefield of Wage and Hour Regulations as a Healthcare Employer," Garvey Schubert BarerSeminarPortland, OR, 5.25.11
- "The Employee Free Choice Act: Preparing Before It's Too Late," Garvey Schubert BarerSeminarSeattle, WA, 1.14.09
- "Seizing the Initiative Following San Manuel: Preparation for Union Activity at Tribal Enterprises," Garvey Schubert BarerSeminarSeattle, WA, 5.24.07
- Garvey Schubert Barer, 7.12.16
- Washington, 1977
J.D., University of Washington School of Law, 1977
B.A., College of William & Mary (with honors), 1970
Honors & Recognition
- The Best Lawyers in America© Labor and Employment, 2010-2017; Labor Law - Management, 2018-present
- Washington Super Lawyers list, 2000, 2002-2003 and 2005-2015
- Super Lawyers Business Edition, 2014-2015
- Martindale-Hubbell AV/5.0 Peer Review Rated
- Recipient of the Oregon LERA "Management Practitioner of the Year" award, 2010
- "Top Lawyer" for Labor and Employment in Seattle Met magazine, 2010