Andy helps employers solve labor and employment problems. He believes negotiated solutions are usually more efficient and cost effective, but can also draw from his extensive litigation experience if necessary.
As a member of the Labor, Employment & Immigration practice, Andy advises and represents employers in their dealings with labor unions, which include union organizing campaigns, representation and election proceedings, collective bargaining, contract negotiations, grievance settlement negotiations, grievance arbitration, unfair labor practice settlement negotiations, and unfair labor practice hearings.
Andy also advises and represents employers in non-union contexts regarding wage and hour laws, discrimination, disability issues such as the duty to provide reasonable accommodations, and state and federal leave laws.
Andy’s clients benefit from his well-rounded background. He is former labor mediator and hearing examiner for the Public Employment Relations Commission. There, he successfully mediated resolutions to more than 100 labor disputes and issued binding decisions in unfair labor practice proceedings.
Previously, Andy practiced law in a well-known Seattle labor and employment firm that represented many of the region’s labor unions. Andy frequently draws on this experience to develop effective strategies for the employers he represents today. Prior to law school, Andy owned and operated a successful small business. That experience allows Andy to resolve his clients’ labor and employment issues with a deep understanding of their business objectives.
Outside of work Andy enjoys hiking, mountain biking and spending time with his wife, two dogs and cat.
- King County Bar Association, Member
- Alternative Dispute Resolution Section, Leadership Team
- Northwest Immigrant Rights Project, Pro Bono Asylum Advocate
- Duff on Hospitality Law, 6.5.19
News & Insights
- "So You Think You Can Draft?: Defensible Effective Personnel Documentation," WAPELRA Spring Training 2020Speaking engagementTo be rescheduled
- EventYakima, WA, September 9 - 10, 2019
- Speaking engagementSeattle, WA, 3.29.19
- "Ethics: How Do We Address Revised WSBA Opinion 2223?" King County Bar Association's Alternative Dispute Resolution ProgramSpeaking engagementSeattle, WA, 12.13.18
- Washington, 2013
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Washington, 2014
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Washington, 2013
- J.D., Gonzaga University School of Law (cum laude), 2012
- B.A., University of Washington, English Literature, 2005