Financial institutions and diverse businesses consistently count on Jason to obtain optimal resolutions in their insolvency, bankruptcy and litigation matters.
Jason’s practice focuses on helping financial institutions, small businesses and farms in commercial insolvencies, bankruptcy proceedings and business disputes. He frequently advises clients in complex Chapter 11 and Chapter 12 bankruptcy proceedings as well as receiverships and workouts.
Jason has significant experience in matters involving agricultural lending, equipment leasing and financing. He is an effective negotiator and facilitator, and dedicated to providing practical solutions to his clients facing complex commercial and agricultural issues.
He regularly appears in federal and state court proceedings in Oregon and Washington.
Jason is also a regular speaker on insolvency and restructuring topics.
- American Bankruptcy Institute, Member
- Equipment Lease and Finance Association, Member
- Oregon State Bar, Member
- Agricultural Section
- Debtor Creditor Section
- Risk Management Association, Member
- General Counsel and Board Member, 2020-present
- Turnaround Management Association, Member
- Washington State Bar Association, Debtor Creditor Section, Member
Represented an equipment lease and finance company in a Chapter 11 bankruptcy to wind down the company while negotiating a release of guaranteed debt of over $17 million.
Assisted equipment finance company in converted Chapter 11 bankruptcy to obtain possession of equipment financed for fertilizer manufacturer which was subject to CERCLA claims by the EPA and an asserted surcharge by the Chapter 7 trustee. Client obtained equipment free of liens and claims and subsequently negotiated sale to an international buyer on behalf of client.
Represented national lender in Chapter 11 reorganization of regional construction developer to ensure payment in full of loans secured by residential developments.
- Obtained favorable resolution for financial institution in litigation and workout proceedings involving farm
Represented financial institution in complex litigation and workout proceedings involving large regional potato and onion farmer for a favorable resolution and agreed payoff to lender.
Assisted lender in the appointment of receiver over cattle operation to recover cattle and proceeds from multiple states and to pursue fraudulent conveyances associated with missing cattle.
Regularly assists lenders in the appointment of receivers to liquidate commercial properties and businesses, including entertainment venues, apartments, coastal hotels and boat manufacturing business.
News & Insights
- Foster Garvey Newsroom, 8.20.20
- Foster Garvey Newsroom, 2.18.20
- Panel DiscussionVirtual Event, 10.27.20
- "Current Agricultural Insolvency Issues in the Northwest," Oregon Bankers Association Agriculture RoundtableSpeaking EngagementVirtual Event, 8.12.20
- Speaking EngagementPortland, OR, 10.23.19
- Oregon, 2000
- Washington, 2007
- U.S. District Court, District of Oregon
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Washington
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Washington
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court, District of Oregon
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court, Eastern District of Washington
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court, Western District of Washington
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 9th Circuit
- J.D., Lewis & Clark Law School, 2000
- B.A., University of Virginia, Economics, 1996
- London School of Economics, London, England, 1995
- The Hon. Stephen L. Gallagher, Multnomah County Circuit Court, 2001
Honors & Recognition
- Best Lawyers in America® - Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights, 2021