Joy Ellis participated on this Northwest Association of Independent Schools (NWAIS) legal panel as part of the organization's virtual Business Officers Conference.
The panel discussed navigating the "new normal" and how it's an ideal time to review your contracts and make sure they reflect the current best practices for independent schools and offer appropriate legal protection. Specific topics included:
- What are the basic principles of a contract, and the legal implications of your agreements?
- What should always - or never - be included in your contracts?
- How to do you build in flexibility in case you need to change your normal operations (and, for example, pivot to remote learning)?
- What are the recent trends in enrollment contracts?
- What should be in an employee contract?
- When negotiating with third parties, what terms are legal landmines for a school that you should watch out for when they send their contract to you to sign?
For more information, please visit the NWAIS website.