Ed has a transactional business and maritime practice emphasizing business acquisitions and dispositions, venture capital investments, securities, real estate investment, and general business representation, as well as worldwide yacht and vessel transactions and management.
Ed has a significant amount of experience representing yacht owners covering a broad range of issues related to the yacht industry, including new build, purchase and sale, flagging, yacht management and crew issues. He also has substantial legal experience related to America's Cup yacht racing syndicates.
- Florida Yacht Brokers Association, Member
- International Superyacht Society, Member
- King County Bar Association, Member
- Neighborhood Legal Clinic, Advocate, 1994-1996
- Northwest Marine Trade Association, Member
- Superyacht Committee
- Northwest Yacht Brokers Association, Member
- U.S. Superyacht Association, Member
- Washington State Bar Association, Member
- Puget Consumers Co-op Natural Markets, Trustee, 1998-2001
- Finance Committee, 1998-2000,
- CEO Evaluation Committee, 1999
- Rainier Discovery Center, Trustee, 2003-2005
- Spring Family Trust, Former Board Member
- The Mountaineers, Member, 1993-present
- Climbing Instructor, 1999-2001
- Washington Trails Association
- Trail Crew Leader, 1994-2001
- Trail Maintenance Committee, 1994-1996
Acted as legal counsel for key shareholders in Emeritus Corporation secondary public common stock offering.
Acted as legal counsel for borrower in a $25 million plus financing.
Acted as legal counsel for seller of m/y Happy Days, a 164 foot Delta Marine yacht.
Acted as legal counsel for buyer of a new 45 plus meter custom built sailing yacht.
Acted as legal counsel for venture investment in Optimum Energy LLC.
Acted as legal counsel for venture investment in Clarity Health Services.
- Representation of multiple shareholders in Emeritus Corporation’s merger with Brookdale Senior Living Inc.
Acted as legal counsel for several shareholders of Seattle-based Emeritus Corp. in its merger with Brookdale Senior Living Inc. The transaction was valued at $2.8 billion.
News & Insights
- Christine Brown and Edward Harley Named Among World’s Top Private Wealth Advisors in Chambers HNW 2021Foster Garvey Newsroom, 7.22.21
- Foster Garvey Newsroom, 7.9.20
- Foster Garvey Newsroom, 7.17.19
- Foster Garvey Newsroom, 11.1.18
- “Ask The Experts: Legal,” Global Superyacht ForumPanel discussion11.14
- “‘Taxing’ Issues for Superyachts, a West Coast perspective,” Cayman Yacht Forum, Flag and Regulatory UpdateSpeaking engagement10.12
- "Broker and Management Issues: Traps for the Unwary,” Northrop & Johnson Annual MeetingSpeaking engagement10.12
- “Superyacht Legal Issues – Newbuilding Projects Contract Terms and Conditions,” Global Superyacht ForumSpeaking engagement11.06
- Speaking engagement10.05
- Speaking engagement12.02
- Speaking engagementDecember
- "Securities Laws Aspects of Partnership and Limited Liability Company Syndications," Washington Partnership and Limited Liability Company DeskbookWashington State Bar Association Continuing Legal Education
- Washington, 1996
- J.D., Seattle University School of Law (cum laude), 1996
- M.B.A., University of Washington, 1993
- Cranfield School of Management, International Business Studies Program, 1992
- B.A., Rutgers University, 1986
Honors & Recognition
- Chambers High Net Worth, Leading Individual, 2017-present
- Rising Star, Washington Super Lawyers list, 2002-2005
- Seattle University School of Law, Academic Scholarship Recipient, 1994-1995