Yachts, Ships & Submersibles
Since 1993 when the superyacht industry was just emerging, Foster Pepper has represented buyers and sellers of pleasure craft, including superyachts, ships and submersibles. Our attorneys have knowledge of diverse legal disciplines and have the commercial and technical knowledge required to represent buyers in the variety of issues required, including contract negotiations with yacht brokers and manufacturers, drafting vessel construction agreements, construction oversight and flag documentation.
We represent clients in both domestic and international superyacht transactions. We are uniquely positioned in Washington state, home to three of the best shipyards in North America. Our attorneys are well known in the superyacht industry and have relationships with yacht brokers all over the world, including superyacht hubs Florida and Monaco and have acted on many of the most significant and prestigious sale transactions, new build projects and major refits worldwide.
We represent buyers and sellers of superyachts, ships and submersibles and work with professionals involved in connection with the construction, ownership, financing and operational matters. We understand the unique challenges and complexities of designing, building, buying and selling these items from contract negotiations with the shipyard through drafting vessel construction agreements, from financing through construction oversight, and from delivery through obtaining the required flag documentation. Our attorneys have substantial experience representing owners of some of the largest and most luxurious superyachts, ships and submersibles in the world.
Our Yacht, Ships & Submersibles attorneys regularly provide advice on issues including commercial contracts for new builds, refits, sale and purchase, professional services, crew employment and berth ownership, as well as establishing ownership entities, registering superyachts, ships and submersibles and providing tax advice related to ownership.
Foster Pepper is an active member of:
- Florida Yacht Brokers Association
- Northwest Yacht Brokers Association
- International Superyacht Society
- U.S. Superyacht Association
- Advised the owner on the construction, purchase and registration of the largest (at the time) composite yacht ever built in the Americas, a 50-meter full-displacement motor yacht equipped with twin engines and a range of more than 5,000 nautical miles.
- Acted as lead counsel in connection with the two largest private superyacht refit projects ever completed in the world.
- Acted as legal counsel for seller of the 50 meter m/y HAPPY DAYS, built by Delta Marine.
- Represented buyer of new custom built sailing yacht measuring more than 45 meters.