Rick is part of the firm's Intellectual Property practice and previously served as in-house intellectual property and general counsel to multiple Fortune 1000 companies, and has experience advising business executives on their increasingly complicated intellectual property issues.
Rick's experience extends to providing due diligence counsel on mergers and acquisitions, on both the buyer and seller’s side. He is a registered patent attorney, with an EE background and his practice includes the protection and assertion of intellectual property, including U.S. and foreign patents, trademarks, trade dress, and copyrights, with an emphasis on the strategic development and management of intellectual property portfolios of mid- and large-cap companies.
- Acted as Intellectual Property counsel in acquisition of a $1 billion plus public technology company.
- Acted as Intellectual Property counsel and general counsel in sale of medical device company to a large portfolio company.
- Served as in-house Intellectual Property counsel for a decade-long program for asserting product trade dress, resulting in multiple wins in Federal District Court and obtaining a general exclusion order in the ITC.
- Acted as Intellectual Property counsel to large global company in setting up the company's first research and development office in China.
- Acted as Intellectual Property counsel for more than 80 successful mergers and acquisitions.
News & Insights
- Foster Garvey Newsroom, 9.20.18
- Washington, 1987
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Washington
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- J.D., University of Toledo College of Law, 1987
- B.S., Ohio University, Electrical Engineering, 1976