Rick is part of the firm's Intellectual Property practice and previously served as in-house intellectual property and general counsel to multiple Fortune 1000 companies, and has experience advising business executives on their increasingly complicated intellectual property issues.
Rick's experience extends to providing due diligence counsel on mergers and acquisitions, on both the buyer and seller’s side. He is a registered patent attorney, with an EE background and his practice includes the protection and assertion of intellectual property, including U.S. and foreign patents, trademarks, trade dress, and copyrights, with an emphasis on the strategic development and management of intellectual property portfolios of mid- and large-cap companies.
- Acted as Intellectual Property counsel in acquisition of a $1 billion plus public technology company.
- Acted as Intellectual Property counsel and general counsel in sale of medical device company to a large portfolio company.
- Served as in-house Intellectual Property counsel for a decade-long program for asserting product trade dress, resulting in multiple wins in Federal District Court and obtaining a general exclusion order in the ITC.
- Acted as Intellectual Property counsel to large global company in setting up the company's first research and development office in China.
- Acted as Intellectual Property counsel for more than 80 successful mergers and acquisitions.
News & Insights
News & Insights
"BRANDMARK: Creating and Protecting Your Brand," Foster Pepper Client Briefing, March 2015
"IP for Start-ups and Other Early Stage Companies," Funding Quest Workshop, June 2014
"Monetizing Patents via Litigation - or Defending Against Those Who Are," Foster Pepper Client Briefing, February 2014
"Intellectual Property Ownership and Public Employment, Association of Washington Cities," 33rd Annual AWC Labor Relations Institute, May 2013
"Fundamental Changes in U.S. Patent Law: Are you on Board?" Foster Pepper Client Briefing, April 2013
"Monetizing Your IP: Current Trends Towards Strategic Use and Maintenance," Association of Corporate Counsel (ACC) America, April 2013
- Washington, 1987
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Washington
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- J.D., University of Toledo College of Law, 1987
- B.S., Ohio University, Electrical Engineering, 1976