Matthew represents businesses and trade associations before federal regulatory agencies and departments and the U.S. Congress. He also serves as general counsel to trade associations and advises businesses on transactions.
His areas of focus include energy and environmental law and policy; regulation of pesticides, food, drugs, and cosmetics; consumer product regulation; emerging technologies; foreign relations and trade policy.
Previously, Matt served in a variety of positions in the federal government including chief of staff to U.S. Senator Jeff Bingaman; special assistant in the Office of the Secretary of Defense; director, Office of Legislative Affairs, U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission; and counsel, U.S. Senate Committee on Government Affairs. He was chair of the Government Relations Department at the law firm of Willkie Farr & Gallagher.
- Garvey Schubert Barer
- New York office, Managing Director, 2001-2018
- Washington, D.C. office, Managing Director, 1998-2018
- Capitol Hill Hospital, Board of Directors, Member 1981-1987
- Epilepsy Foundation
- Chesapeake Region, Board Member and Officer, until 1998
- Jeanne H. Carpenter Legal Defense Fund, Professional Advisory Board Member
- National Board of Directors, until 2004
News & Insights
- "Optimizing the Use of Outside Counsel for Litigation, Investigations and Regulatory Enforcement Proceedings with a Focus on the Fallout from the Ongoing Credit Market Crisis," Greater New York Chapter of the Association of Corporate CounselSeminarThe Cornell Club, New York, NY, 7.28.09
- District of Columbia, 1976
- U.S. District Court, District of Columbia, 1994
- J.D., Columbus School of Law, Catholic University of America, 1974
- B.A., Cornell University, 1970