Kerry has been a leader in the field of workplace discrimination and harassment-prevention for more than 25 years, first as a partner at Davis Wright Tremaine, later as a member of Microsoft’s Law and Corporate Affairs team, and today as a part of Foster Garvey’s Labor, Employment & Immigration group.
As an employment defense litigator, Kerry has represented local, national and international companies on discrimination and harassment cases. She has also developed and delivered a broad range of preventive employment training programs, including harassment-prevention, to help her clients minimize litigation threats, improve personnel retention, and enhance management knowledge of workplace laws and issues. Kerry has delivered harassment-prevention programs across the country, working in a range of industries, including engineering, banking, fisheries, health care, high tech, aerospace, food service, hospitality, transportation, professional sports, and the performing arts. Kerry helped develop Microsoft's award-winning harassment-prevention training and Standards of Business Conduct platform, and has provided preventive programs for hundreds of owners, Board leaders, managers, supervisors and non-supervisory employees across the country.
- King County Bar Association
- Housing Justice Project/Kent, Former Supervising Attorney; Volunteer
- Eastside Neighborhood Legal Clinics, Former volunteer attorney
- Seattle Opera Association, Former pro bono employment counsel
- Bellevue School District, Trial Coach, National Mock Trial Organization
- Eastside Baby Corner, Board Member, 2020-present
- Issaquah School District, Volunteer Fifth Grade Music History Teacher
- Represented employers in matters involving workplace discrimination, retaliation, harassment, wage/hour violations, workplace safety, privacy issues, labor disputes and other employment issues.
- Represented employers in litigation and dispute resolution, including:
- Class action race, national origin and age discrimination litigation on behalf of international fisheries employers
- Gender, race and age discrimination cases on behalf of national corporations in the food service, high tech, aerospace, warehousing, fisheries, banking, media and health care industries
- Wage/hour disputes before state and federal agencies
- Discrimination, harassment and retaliation cases on behalf of small, mid-side and large corporations
- Wrongful termination and tortious interference cases in state and federal courts
- Administrative charges before the National Labor Relations Board
- Proactive, prevention-focused efforts including employment training programs for management and employees on topics including discrimination/harassment-prevention; workplace safety; the beginning/middle/end of the employment relationship; cooperative labor relations; smart hiring practices; what every manager should know about compliance with state and federal employment laws.
News & Insights
- Washington, 1986
- J.D., University of Oregon School of Law, 1984
- Oregon Law Review, Associate Editor
- Research Assistant, Professor C. Forrell
- B.A., University of California at Los Angeles (magna cum laude), 1981
- Departmental Honors in Literature
- Judicial Externship, 9th Circuit Court of Appeals