John litigates and negotiates disputes over trademarks, trade dress, copyrights, protected design, advertising and licensing.
John advises clients on brand development and intellectual property protection and enforcement strategies. His practice includes clients in the health and fitness, outdoor recreation, publishing and software industries.
John has acted as counsel in state and federal court, as well before the USPTO and TTAB, for cases involving intellectual property rights in exercise equipment, gaming software, toy design, website design and the color yellow.
Before pursuing a career in the law, he taught language, literature, aesthetics and critical theory in the Department of Germanics at the University of Washington and the University of Colorado, Boulder.
- American Intellectual Property Law Association, Trademark Litigation Committee, Chair, 2014-2016
- King County Bar Association, Intellectual Property Section, Member
- Outdoor Industry Association, Member
- Seattle Intellectual Property American Inn of Court, Member
- Greater Seattle Soccer League, Member
- Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation, Board Member 2008-2014
- The Wilderness Society, Member
- Cannabis Business Blog, 11.15.18
- Duff on Hospitality Law, 10.24.18
- Duff on Hospitality Law, 10.7.16
- Duff on Hospitality Law, 7.1.15
News & Insights
- "Protecting Intellectual Property," Advising the Small Business Client: Legal Issues for the Emerging Business Owner, Washington State Bar Association CLESpeaking EngagementSeattle, WA, 9.22.11
- Guarding Against Employee Theft, Misuse, and Disclosure of Confidential, Proprietary and Trade Secret InformationSeminarGarvey Schubert Barer, Seattle, WA, 11.17.09
- Electronic Commerce & Law Report (Bloomberg BNA), 12.7.16
- Garvey Schubert Barer, 1.23.15
- HSMAI Insights, 11.1.14
- Washington, 2005
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Washington, 2005
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 9th Circuit, 2006
- J.D., University of Washington School of Law, 2005
- Pacific Rim Law & Policy Journal, Member
- Ph.D., University of Washington, Comparative Literature, 1996
- Fulbright Award Fellowship, Eberhard-Karls-Universität Tübingen, 1994-1995
- B.A., Princeton University, European History, 1984
Honors & Recognition
- Rising Star, Washington Super Lawyers, 2013-2015, 2010