Dan focuses his practice on bankruptcy, insolvency, creditors’ rights and complex commercial litigation.
Dan maintains an active practice in both Washington and California, and serves clients across many key industries, with a particular focus on financial services and health care. He has represented clients in connection with a variety of matters, including Chapter 11 liquidation and re-organization proceedings (in which he has represented both debtors and creditors), Chapter 9 proceedings, complex bankruptcy litigation arising out of alleged financial fraud, fraudulent and preferential transfer actions, receivership actions, commercial arbitrations, regulatory investigations and enforcement actions, and trusts and estates litigation. Dan combines detailed analysis with a practical, real-world approach to assist clients in navigating the legal landscape they face as creditors, debtors or litigants.
Prior to joining Garvey Schubert Barer in 2012, Dan was an associate at the San Francisco office of Morrison & Foerster LLP.
- Representative matters:
- Defended financial services firm against claims arising out of alleged multi-million dollar Ponzi scheme.
- Defended fraudulent transfer claims against financial institution based on alleged fraud by third party.
- Represented maritime business in regulatory dispute potentially impacting hundreds of jobs and millions of dollars in revenue.
- Helped to obtain summary judgment on behalf of defendant healthcare facility against claims by third parties arising out of wrongdoing by a former patient of the facility.
- Obtained dismissal with prejudice of suit alleging negligent misrepresentation under California law against purchaser of distressed assets.
- Cross Border Business Law Blog, 4.13.18
- Duff on Hospitality Law, 6.28.16
- Duff on Hospitality Law, 3.7.16
- Duff on Hospitality Law, 10.13.15
- Duff on Hospitality Law, 12.22.14
News & Insights
- Washington, 2012
- California, 2007
- U.S. District Court, Central District of California
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of California
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court, Western District of Washington
- J.D., University of California Davis School of Law, 2007
- Order of the Coif
- UC Davis Law Review, Articles Editor
- Feminist Forum, Member
- B.A., University of Oregon, Philosophy, 2004