Alicia counsels public and private employers on compliance with various federal, state and local employment laws including wage-and-hour, leave and anti-discrimination regulations. She defends employers in agency and court proceedings involving harassment and discrimination, whistleblower actions, wrongful discharge and non-competition/trade secret misappropriation claims. She regularly assists employers with personnel handbooks, management policies and training, as well as employment and non-competition agreements.
Alicia's litigation practice focuses on resolution of civil cases, including business and regulatory disputes. She counsels clients on all aspects of the litigation process, including case strategy, risk evaluation, discovery, and effective dispute resolution.
- Federal Bar Association of the Western District of Washington, Website/Communications Committee Co-Chair, 2011-2013
- ArtsWest Gallery and Playhouse
- Governance Committee Member, 2015-2016
- Board Intern, 2014
- ArtsFund Associates Program, 2012-2015
- Solid Ground Family Assistance Program, Advisory Board Member, 2009-2011
Representative Work: Employment
- Employer-side litigation and dispute resolution, including:
- Representation of hospitality company in wage-and-hour class action litigation, obtaining cost-effective settlement.
- Representation of consulting company in claims for breach of employment agreement, breach of fiduciary duty and misappropriation of trade secrets against former employees. Obtained favorable settlement and enforcement of non-competition agreement provisions.
- Representation of financial services company against former employee’s wrongful termination and emotional distress claims. Employee voluntarily dropped the lawsuit in response to a motion to dismiss.
- Representation of and dismissal of charges against employers in administrative forums, including the National Labor Relations Board, Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, Seattle Office for Civil Rights and Seattle Office of Labor Standards.
- Employer-side counseling and advice, including:
- Performance management concerns, hiring, reductions in force and separation issues, leave law compliance, wage and hour compliance, and anti-harassment/discrimination initiatives.
- Handbooks and personnel policies, including topics such as social media, privacy, and leave laws.
- Management-side training on various employment law topics including: #metoo and harassment/discrimination in the workplace, internal investigations, wage and hour compliance, leave laws, workplace privacy, bullying and workplace violence prevention, and drug and alcohol policy compliance.
- Employee-side counseling and advice, including:
- Drafting, review and negotiation of executive and founder employment agreements and separation/severance agreements.
Representative Experience: Litigation
- Obtained victory for school district client in IDEA Due Process Hearing with full dismissal of parents’ charge.
- Successfully defended commercial background music company against claims of copyright infringement and unfair business practices.
- Obtained summary judgment and dismissal of claims brought by a healthcare client’s cross-town competitor seeking to open competing service program.
Representative Matters: Entertainment
- Represented several authors in review and negotiation of literary/publishing agreements, including licensing and protection of intellectual property rights.
- Guided virtual reality client in talent onboarding process, including drafting employment and contractor agreements.
- Represented several film production companies in negotiating and securing talent, and drafted talent and production agreements.
News & Insights
News & Insights
- "Workplace Investigations in the Age of #Metoo," Foster Pepper Client Briefing, November 2018
- "Seattle Ordinances Affecting Employers - Hear From the City," Foster Pepper Client Briefing, May 2017
- "Give Us A Break! Navigating Employment Issues in the Trucking Industry," Washington Trucking Associations, February 2017
- "Politics and the Workplace," Foster Pepper Client Briefing, October 2016
- "Legalization of Marijuana: Impact on the Washington Workplace," Foster Pepper Client Briefing, June 2016
- "Is Your Employee Handbook Ready for Prime Time?" Foster Pepper Client Briefing, April 2015
- "Privacy in the Workplace: Managing Employees in the Digital Age," Foster Pepper Client Briefing, November 2014
- "Bullying and Violence in the Workplace: Prevention and Intervention Strategies," Foster Pepper Client Briefing, March 2014
- "Employment Discrimination Law – Hear From the Agencies," Foster Pepper Client Briefing, September 2013
- "Wage & Hour Compliance – Beyond the Basics (Part Ii)," Foster Pepper Client Briefing, May 2013
- "Intellectual Property Ownership and Public Employment," Association of Washington Cities, 33rd Annual AWC Labor Relations Institute, May 2013
- 'Wage & Hour Compliance – Beyond the Basics (Part I)," Foster Pepper Client Briefing, February 2013
- "Mandatory/Permissive Bargaining and Public Records/Information Disclosure," Managing the Process of Labor Relations, October 2011
- "Wash. Non-Compete Reform: What Employers Need to Know," Law360.com, June 2019
- "New Washington Law Restricts Use and Enforcement of Non-Compete Agreements," Foster Pepper News Alert, May 2019
- "U.S. Department of Labor Issues New Guidelines for For-Profit Corporate Internship Programs," Foster Pepper News Alert, February 2018
- "Seattle City Council Passes Secure Scheduling Ordinance," Foster Pepper News Alert, September 2016
- "Agency 'Final Rule Roundup'," Foster Pepper News Alert, May 2016
- "Defend Trade Secrets Act (Dtsa) Signed Into Law: Federal Law Offers Greater Protections and New Obligations for Employers," Foster Pepper News Alert, May 2016
- "No Foolin’ – Seattle Minimum Wage Ordinance Takes Effect April 1," Foster Pepper News Alert, April 2015
- "Proposed Administrative Rules Released for Seattle Minimum Wage Ordinance," Foster Pepper News Alert, February 2015
- "City Auditor Report: Seattle Sick and Safe Leave Compliance Leaves Room for Improvement – for Employers and Office of Civil Rights," Foster Pepper News Alert, October 2014
- "Seattle $15 Minimum Wage Update: Referendum Efforts Rejected, and Airport Workers Get a Raise," Foster Pepper News Alert, July 2014
- "Seattle Passes $15 Minimum Wage, Highest of Any Major U.S. City," Foster Pepper News Alert, June 2014
- "The Minimum Wage Debate Rages in Seattle, Washington State, and the Nation," Foster Pepper News Alert, February 2014
- "Will Seattle Really Have a $15 Minimum Wage?" Foster Pepper News Alert, December 2013
- "Food for Thought: Wage Theft Protests Serve as Reminder of Importance of Wage & Hour Compliance," Foster Pepper News Alert, October 2013
- "Revenge of the Intern: Wage and Hour Class Actions Keep Employers on Their Toes," Foster Pepper News Alert, May 2013
- "Access Denied: Legislation Prevents Employers From Demanding Employees’ Social Media Passwords," Foster Pepper News Alert, April 2012
- "Preventing and Addressing Workplace Bullying," Foster Pepper News Alert, March 2012
- "Check Your Files: U.S. Supreme Court Narrows Foia Exemption for Internal Personnel Rules," Foster Pepper News Alert, March 2011
- "Give Moms a Break: Anticipating Final Regulations on Break Time for Nursing Mothers," Foster Pepper News Alert, March 2011
- "Airing Dirty Laundry: Addressing Repeated, Frivolous Public Records Requests by Public Employees," Foster Pepper News Alert, March 2011
- "Judicial Candidates Pledge Ethical Campaigns," Foster Pepper News Alert, May 2010
- "Advocating for the Native American Child: Comprehensive Overview of the Indian Child Welfare Act," Chapter Contributor, Native American Practice Group and CASA CLE Manual, November 2008
- Washington, 2009
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Washington, 2011
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Washington, 2011
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 9th Circuit, 2012
- J.D., University of Washington School of Law, 2009
- Washington Law Review, Articles Editor
- Law Women’s Caucus, Alumnae Event Chair
- B.A., Wesleyan University, 2003
Honors & Recognition
Rising Star, Employment & Labor Law, Washington Super Lawyers list, 2014-2019