Adelle is a litigator with experience in health care and employee benefits matters. She has represented managed care entities in contractual and extra-contractual disputes with providers, and has successfully defended welfare benefit plans and administrators in disputes regarding benefits. Adelle has litigated matters in state and federal courts in Washington and California and has briefed matters before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 9th Circuit.
While in law school, Adelle served as a law clerk in the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission’s Federal Sector Hearings Unit, where she assisted Administrative Judges with the adjudication of employment discrimination claims. She also won awards for her legal writing in the Philip C. Jessup International Law Moot Court Competition.
- DRI, Member
- King County Bar Association, Member
- Washington Women Lawyers, Member
Williby v. Aetna Life Ins. Co. (C.D. Cal. 2018). Secured judgment for claims administrator on remand. After the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals vacated a judgment for the claimant and remanded for consideration under the correct standard of review, the District Court concluded that the administrator’s decision to terminate short-term disability benefits was reasonable and supported by the administrative record.
Abubakar v. Aetna Life Ins. Co. (C.D. Cal. 2016). Obtained dismissal of long-term disability benefit claim on de novo review. The Court affirmed the benefit denial, concluding that the administrator correctly applied the plan’s pre-existing condition exclusion.
- Washington, 2017
- California, 2014
- U.S. District Court, Central District of California, 2014
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of California, 2018
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of California, 2018
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of California, 2016
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Washington, 2018
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 9th Circuit, 2014
J.D., University of Southern California, Gould School of Law, 2014
B.A., University of Washington, Communication, 2006