Rick is co-chair of the firm’s Intellectual Property practice and previously served as in-house intellectual property and general counsel to multiple Fortune 1000 companies, and has experience advising business executives on their increasingly complicated intellectual property issues. His experience extends to providing due diligence counsel on mergers and acquisitions, on both the buyer and seller’s side. He is a registered patent attorney, with an EE background and his practice includes the protection and assertion of intellectual property, including U.S. and foreign patents, trademarks, trade dress, and copyrights, with an emphasis on the strategic development and management of intellectual property portfolios of mid- and large-cap companies.
- Acted as Intellectual Property counsel in acquisition of a $1 billion plus public technology company.
- Acted as Intellectual Property counsel and general counsel in sale of medical device company to a large portfolio company.
- Served as in-house Intellectual Property counsel for a decade-long program for asserting product trade dress, resulting in multiple wins in Federal District Court and obtaining a general exclusion order in the ITC.
- Acted as Intellectual Property counsel to large global company in setting up the company's first research and development office in China.
- Acted as Intellectual Property counsel for more than 80 successful mergers and acquisitions.
Panelist, Foster Pepper Client Briefing, March 2015
IP for Start-ups and Other Early Stage Companies
Speaker, Funding Quest Workshop, June 2014
Panelist, Foster Pepper Client Briefing, February 2014
Intellectual Property Ownership and Public Employment
Co-presenter, Association of Washington Cities, 33rd Annual AWC Labor Relations Institute, May 2013
Foster Pepper Client Briefing, April 2013
Panelist, Association of Corporate Counsel (ACC) America, April 2013
J.D., University of Toledo College of Law, 1987
B.S., Electrical Engineering, Ohio University, 1976
U.S. District Court
- Western District of Washington
U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
Foster Pepper PLLC, Of Counsel, 2011-Present
Black Lowe & Graham PLLC, Of Counsel, 2010-2011
Verathon Inc., Vice President and General Counsel, 2008-2010
Fluke Corporation, IP Counsel, 1989-2008
Seattle Business Magazine, April 2012