Jeffrey P. Lane, MPH
Jeff's practice focuses on health care and medical research law. Jeff advises clients on structuring a range of health care and medical research-related transactions, including clinical research site agreements, complex laboratory services and quality agreements, intellectual property license agreements, asset purchase and sale agreements, cooperative research agreements, research network agreements, physician service agreements, quality data sharing agreements, and hospital affiliation agreements. He also advises organizations on the unique legal compliance issues that arise as a result of engaging in international health care operations and research affiliations.
In addition to advising clients on health care and medical research transactions, Jeff has experience representing clients on a range of litigation matters, including certificates of need, antitrust, provider reimbursement, and tax-exemption appeals.
Jeff is currently Chair of the Advisory Board for the Washington Medical-Legal Partnership and Co-Chair of the Washington Global Health Alliance’s Business Partnerships Initiative. He is also a Clinical Instructor at the University of Washington Department of Global Health where he teaches a graduate-level course titled Global Health Policy and Advocacy.
- Negotiated a clinical trial site agreement to govern an investigator-initiated clinical trial with the goal of developing a novel therapy for the treatment of prostate cancer.
- Assisted in analyzing the operations of a neglected diseases research institute to determine its obligations under state and federal health information privacy laws.
- Advised a Washington-based health care provider on compliance issues relating to international joint ventures and research affiliations.
- Advised a nonprofit health care provider on how to partner with medical universities to deliver health care services in rural Peru, while limiting its liability exposure.
- Provides consulting services to the University of Washington Department of Global Health on a federal research grant monitoring health law and policy reforms in countries with a high burden of HIV/AIDS.
University of Washington
- Instructor of Law and Global Health
Washington Global Health Alliance
- Co-Chair, Business Partnerships Initiative, October 2011-October 2013
Washington State Society of Healthcare Attorneys
- Board of Directors, 2015-Present
Washington Medical-Legal Partnership
American Bar Association
- International Life Sciences and Health Law Committee, Vice-Chair
Gilead Sciences Licenses Five HIV/AIDS Drugs to New Medicines Patent Pool: The Start of a New Trend?
Author, American Bar Association, International Law News, Vol. 41, No. 1, December 2011
The Need for Effective Licensure Laws for Mid-Level Health Care Providers in Countries Facing Chronic Physician Shortages: A Case Study of the Marshall Islands' Health Assistants
17 Pac. Rim. L. & Pol'y 767 (2008)
Advocating for the Native American Child: Comprehensive Overview of the Indian Child Welfare Act
Chapter Contributor, Native American Practice Group and CASA CLE Manual - November 2008
University of Washington Global Health Law Summer Institute: The Access Challenge
Speaker, July 2014
- "Variable Health Policy Governance and Health Law Infrastructure in Low and Middle-Income Countries"
- "Falsified and Substandard Medicines: Challenges and Solutions"
HIV Policy Reform and Advocacy in Ghana
U.S. Embassy, Accra, Ghana, May 2013
Monitoring Health Law and Policy Reforms in Resource-Limited Countries and Evaluating Their Public Health Impact: An Approach Developed for PEPFAR
University of Washington School of Law, Feb. 2013
Strategies for Adopting, Implementing and Monitoring HIV/AIDS-Related Law Reforms
Partnership Framework Policy Monitoring Workshop, Dar es Salaam, Tanzania, August 2012
Policy Reform Initiatives in the PEPFAR Partnership Framework Implementation Plans
Office of the U.S. Global AIDS Coordinator, Washington, D.C., May 2011
PEPFAR Partnership Frameworks: Policy Reform Tracking
CDC, Division of Global HIV/AIDS Headquarters, Atlanta, Georgia, Jan. 2011
Health System Strengthening & Law: Strengthening International Laboratories Through Statute, Regulation, and Contract Law
Speaker, International Workshop on Laboratory Leadership and Management for Systems Development, Seattle, WA, July 2010
Law and Global Health: Case Studies from East Africa
Speaker, Seattle, WA, April 2010
Thomas Francis Jr. Global Health Fellowship, 2009
Grantee, University of Washington Public Interest Law Association, 2009
J.D., University of Washington School of Law, 2009
- Pacific Rim Law & Policy Journal, Editor, 2008-2009
- Moot Court Honor Board, Member, 2007-2009
- Student Health Law Organization, President, 2007-2008
M.P.H., University of Washington, 2009
B.A., Boston College, 2005
Foster Pepper PLLC
- Member, 2017-Present
- Associate, 2010-2016
- Summer Associate, 2008
U.S. Senator Patty Murray, Legislative Fellow, 2009
Center for Law in Science and Global Health, Research Assistant, 2008-2009
Seattle Children's Hospital, Research Assistant, 2007-2008
Rural Development Institute, Research Assistant, 2007
Mintz, Levin, Cohn, Ferris, Glovsky & Popeo, P.C. (Boston, MA), Legal Assistant, 2005-2006